Unprecedented Anticipation?

GB_Amateur

Has there ever been a detector announcement with this much enthusiasm/expectation?  And if we've just begun the Brave New World of announcing a detector before it's ready for market (past year or so with this and other companies and detectors), has there ever been a release of a new model which has gotten this much attention?

I have never seen anything like it in over 40 years in the business. We do see tons of interest in a new gold model, like the GPZ for example, but that is actually very limited to the prospectors. Other detectors have had major interest before details have been known, only to drop off rapidly when the reality is underwhelming. I think Minelab has been wise doing a slow reveal as the Equinox just keeps looking better the more you know about it.

I am very much of a mind that we are at a basic limit of sorts as regards depth of detection. That being the case it for me has come down to finding a machine that packs as much capability as possible into a single unit. The last couple years have been a little frustrating as I have cast about trying to find that "perfect machine for me". In a nutshell I hunt for coins, jewelry, and gold nuggets, and I detect both on dry land and in saltwater. That means my perfect machine needs to be waterproof, have multifrequency for saltwater, and single frequency for gold nuggets. I also want built in wireless headphone capability and updates via the internet. Finally, I want it to weigh under 3.5 lbs, which in my opinion is the most any new VLF type detector should weigh.

It is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Many detectors have come close, but the Equinox is the first to hit all my checkboxes, and so I am coming out as an official Minelab Equinox Fanboy. I simply am not interested in any offerings from anyone else unless they have similar capability (say, a White's V3i stuffed into a MX Sport case). Minelab is getting some flack over the marketing hyperbole, but the fact for me at least is I really am not interested in any more single frequency VLF releases. I would not say they are obsolete as in have no use and won't be sold anymore. But they are obsolete as far as my interest in what suddenly looks like old technology only suitable for machines selling for under $600 and mostly as entry level units. There will be a few specialty units like the Gold Monster that are highly optimised for a single task, but I can't for the life of me see any more why anyone would want to pay over $600 for any normal single frequency detector. The Equinox 600 at $649 throws up a pretty solid wall of expectations especially for detectors running $600 or more. For anyone but a gold prospector the Equinox 600 at $649 is all the detector a person might want. And even for casual prospecting the 15 khz single frequency options and the Field Mode multifrequency options on the Equinox 600 will serve well enough for people who might only look for gold nuggets once or twice a year.

minelab-equinox-600-basic-feature-poster.jpg

minelab-equinox-600-specifications.jpg

• Like 7

I need another detector like I need another, uhhhhhh, welll, nevermind -- that's not important..

What is important is I never thought I'd actually see the day any mfg. would bring to market a detector that as Steve has noted hits every box I have checked for what I would like to have in a single unit.. Further, Minelab has done so at a price point that makes it virtually impossible to ignore.. What's not to like about one detector that can replace everything except the more extreme specialty machines..?

Swamp

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never owned a Minelab coin detector. I've wanted to give one a spin for some time but the weight and cost of the 3030 has always put me off. With the Equinox all my excuses go away.

I like the idea of usb charging so a mobile phone battery bank can charge even when I'm hours away from a power point.

I love the new weight, and with the small coil this thing will be as light as a feather.

I'm keen to see the beach/wet sand performance of the multi-IQ compared to my AT-Pro which has struggled with wet sand depth in the past.

I have an sdc 2300 for gold detecting but love the idea of having a backup detector and one that has the ability to hit those trashy areas that drive you mad with a pulse induction detector. 

I'm keen to see how the super fast recovery speed handles those super trashy sites that are chock full of ferrous. 

I was considering pulling the trigger on the AT-Max, but Minelabs early "dangling of the carrot" well and truly worked on me. I really think this detector is going to give the AT-Max and the Deus some serious competition.  

Being a nervous nellie, I've considered sitting on the fence and waiting for the early adopter reports on in the field tests, but I can't think of one Minelab detector that was a lemon, and if there is a software glitch at release date it can be easily fixed with a firmware update. As soon as a release date is locked in I'm pulling the trigger. Call me a new Minelab fanboi.

• Like 2

I seen excitement for many detectors but, nothing like the Equinox. Did not know how to tell the wife I was going to get a new detector. After remodeling the house and laying over 2000 sq ft of hardwood flooring. She wanted to go to the beach for a vacation. While there she said I should have taken my metal detector. I tole her it was old and heavy. She quickly responded with you need to get a new one. So I have been cleared by the boss! Look forward to getting my hands on the Equinox 800. I may not need the high frequencies right away. However they say there is gold in North Carolina. Who knows, my wife may say lets go on vacation in Nevada. Then I would have to drop by and say hello to Steve. Then beg for him to take me gold hunting. LOL! Then the Equinox 800 would come in handy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1