Disgusted By $500+ Price Of Garrett Deepseeker Coil (and Minelab Prices)

I'm absolutely amazed -- and disgusted -- that Garrett Deepseeker Coils for its ATX are priced at over $500. The coil probably costs the company less than $25 to manufacture. For this reason alone, along with the fact that the ATX only accepts proprietary coils specifically made for it, I'm boycotting Garrett. If I did buy a Garrett product it would be a used unit, as I have no desire to subsidize price-gouging companies.

(For those who plan to reply, "Well, it's a free market, they can charge whatever they want" save your breath -- I get it.)

By the same token, I refuse to buy a MineLab PI detector new and would only buy a pre-owned model. $7,000 for the ML 7000? Are they KIDDING? Again, look at the size of a metal detector box -- the electronics they contain is pretty minimal. 

I strongly suspect that people with good electronics/electrical engineering skills could make a killing selling PI detectors that rival anything Garrett and Minelab manufacture for a FRACTION of what those companies' products sell for.

For most of us the 7000 is a lot of money but if I could walk out my door and nugget hunt I’d have one.

if I had to justify every detector I wouldn’t have any. Like the Equinox I have on order I don’t need it but when I leave this world I’ve been told I’ll take nothing with me. So enjoy while you can.

You ask the people that have a 7000 you couldn’t pry it out of their dead hand if you had to. That’s how happy they spent the money.

I have the low end of nugget detector called Gold Monster 1000. 

I don’t have the time or the money to come up with a detector that would come near to what the 7000 has to offer.

Dig this. In 1991 I paid 725.00 for a Eagle 2 and now for a little more I can get the Equinox that will run circles around the Eagle. 

Chuck

• Like 2

I do not like to overpay for coils, and anything over about $250 I think is too much. However, if you look at a Garrett 20" mono coil with integrated fiberglass lower rod and think you can make one for $25 then you obviously have no idea what it costs to make things. Just like you have no idea of the amount of electronics in a GPZ case and the costs involved. Engineers work for years developing new products and presumably you think they should not get paid, or that those development costs should not be recouped. There is more to the cost of things than just the material involved.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I agree with the basic concept of objecting to overpriced coils, so good on you. Best bet for you is to boycott both Garrett and Minelab and support brands that do things the way you prefer.

• Like 5

Around 6oz and your GPZ has paid itself off.

How many balls do you have to smack around the paddock before your fancy set of clubs pay for themselves?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not available in the USA (yet) but the QED PI detector sells for Aus $ 1,850. My detector of choise these days for a number of reasons, and no, I don't have any financial  involvement.

Sold my 7000 after finding nealy 80 ozs with it. Too heavy and too much money tied up in it. You can get a top performer at a very reasonable price. (in Ozz)

PS. Hope this is not off topic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have bought a number of new and used detectors over the years.  It is similar to most products.  When you add in a dealer network you must increase the cost to keep them in business.  Buying directly from the end user will save you money.

If I buy a new detector and use it for a year and go back to my dealer and ask him to buy it back he may or may not.  The price he will pay me is less than half of what he is going to sell it for used to the next buyer.  So, the $8000 detector new has a used value of $5500 and when I go to sell it to the dealer he is going to offer me $2500!  If I'm in a hurry I take it.  He might quick sell it to someone for $4500 and he is out of it.

I sold used and surplus computer equipment for many years.  I'd try to get it for 10% of retail value.

Detector market values are different but you get the idea if you want to stay in business as a dealer in used detectors.  Sometimes the used dealer also has to stand behind it to get the sale.

Mitchel

23 hours ago, madtuna said:

Around 6oz and your GPZ has paid itself off.

Just how fast do you think you'd be able to find that elusive 6 ounces of in-the-ground gold? Not to mention the other miscellaneous costs involved in the endeavor.

With gold valued at less than $1300 US/ounce a strong argument could be made that you'd be way better off buying 99.999% pure gold bullion by the ounce rather than trying to find that 6 ounces with a $7000+ metal detector.

3 hours ago, hayesman76 said:

With gold valued at less than $1300 US/ounce a strong argument could be made that you'd be way better off buying 99.999% pure gold bullion by the ounce rather than trying to find that 6 ounces with a $7000+ metal detector.

Hey hayesman.  mate it all depends on why you are detecting. I detect because I want to find gold, not to make money out of it. I used gold I found with other detectors to pay for my 7000 and I have found enough gold with the 7 to replace the gold I used.  cheers

• Like 1

All hobbies have miscellaneous costs but very few, if any, have a means to recover them. Most hobbies are a bottomless pit of costs with no return.

I'd wager that with good research & time/effort that you could realise a better return on your $7k with a detector than sitting on bullion. You'll have a lot more fun out looking for gold too rather than sitting at home waiting for the gold price to go up.

There are reasonable gold detectors at all budgets so buy something you're comfortable with.

• Like 4

Back in the 70s the price of the newly introduced metal detectors was roughly a third the price of a new family sedan, it proved to be a wise purchase, back near 4 years ago I bought a GPZ7000 on their introduction it too cost roughly a third of the cost of a new family sedan also, it has proved to be a wise purchase.

Not just in the gold value found did these these detectors and all the others in between prove to be wise purchases, but for the sheer enjoyment this hobby gave me, a truly magic trip that continues. Hop aboard if it is the hobby for you, you will not begrudge the research and development that goes into giving us these top proven tools.

• Like 6