New User Member Advice Best MD For Around $800 Or Less? 

Hi All

I'm new to this smart hobby of metal detecting/prospecting and I found this great website to be pretty helpful to its contents which I decided to join this forum to learn more.

I'm planning to head to East Africa to do some gold prospecting with the help of good metal detector and I need your advice on some issues. 

To start with need good MD to take with me so please give me your advice on the very best gold nugget detectors for the budget of $800 or less?

What are the very best gold nugget detectors for the budget of $800 or less? Even these Chinese made MDs if you think they can do the job comparatively then please list them all. 

Thank you.

Hi Steve

Didn't saw the Nugget Detector Guide until you posted the link here; have to say that was pretty much what I was looking for. Best guide that I've read so far regarding this matter, thank very much for putting it all together. 

For beginners like me, the  Minelab X-Terra 705  that you shortlisted seems the better option to go for. 

Have also come across White's Surf Pi Dual Field Metal Detector which it seems primarily designed for beach metal detecting, but the dual VLF and PI combined into a single the dual field MD; seems to be one of the better alternatives to single field detectors. I'm not sure how effective it will be for gold prospecting but if you have information or suggestions please say something about it... 

The Dual Field thing is just about the coil design on the Surf PI. It is not a combined VLF and PI but just a simple PI detector, and without ground balance capability. In general it is really a detector best used for beach detecting and nothing else. Stick with machines on my Nugget Detector Guide if you do not wish to go astray. I quite honestly have listed almost every machine worth your consideration as a nugget detector and you can safely ignore the rest.

The X-Terra 705 at $499 packs an incredible amount of features into a detector in that price range. It competes well with detectors costing hundreds of dollars more. They were $799 not too long ago and at that it was a great machine. At $499 its a smoking deal.

The Gold Bug Pro has been incredibly popular in Africa and so is worth a look also. Just be very careful with any machines you might purchase as counterfeit detectors are a plague in Africa. Deal only with somebody very reputable you can trust. If you get offered a deal too good to be true consider that a counterfeit may be involved.

• Like 1