SDC 2300 Bag, Wear & Tear, and 30 Ounces of Gold!

I'm currently trying to find something like that black ATX bag for my SDC 2300. Really a bit miffed that having paid so much for it, it doesn't even come with a bag to protect it. Don't need a hard case (Pelican make some very good ones if anyone is interested), just a durable bag to stop it getting scratched while I'm carrying it in the back pack. Think I may have found one designed for a Midi controller that would do the job. Just have to double check the sizes.

You guys would freak if you saw the sate of my SDC after two months in North West WA this year, because of the terrain, especially the steepness of it and the fact we were hand digging and rolling huge boulders the detector looks like it's been subjected to a sandblaster, especially the coil and lower shaft assembly.

However I averaged over half ounce a day for quite a few weeks with mine and my mate did the same, so 30 ounces in a three way split has helped take away some of the aesthetic pain' :-)

JP

post-9-0-11289000-1417463304_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-76700100-1417463332_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-82710300-1417463387_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Wow JP, are you sure that's a metal detector and not a vacuum cleaner? That red dirt on the gold looks like the soil here in Spain. I guess it must have a lot of iron in it.

You certainly put the detector through it's paces, but then I assume it's your living so it's paying it's way. I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to detectors, but I'm learning a lot from reading everyone's posts. It's fascinating.

One thing I haven't quite figured out, maybe you can help me, and sorry if this is a dumb question... when the coil sounds off above a target (I have an SDC 2300 with an 8" monoloop coil I believe), how do I pinpoint it's position? When it makes the loudest noise does that mean the target is under the middle of the coil, or that it is under a part of the rim of the coil? I should be getting a pinpointer soon to help me figure this out anyway, but the last time I was out I wasn't sure exactly where the detector was centering on the target.

Thanks!

Hi rumblefish, generally if a target is a long way from the coil it will make a single response as the coil is swept past the target zone, this means the whole coil winding is responding to it and the target is a long way away, if the response is a double beep as each edge of the winding goes past then it is shallow.

The exception to this rule is if the target is very large and overloads the audio, if this is a nugget then it is a delicious feeling trying to pinpoint such a target.

JP

Pic of a nugget that overloaded the SDC.

post-9-0-57716400-1417465954_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi JP,

Yes that happened to me. I was running the coil over the dry flood plain of a river and suddenly it blew my ears off. Under the rocks was a huge metal spike. I have no idea what it was from or how it got there, but the detector was picking it up from quite far away.

Didn't have any luck finding any gold though, but I was only really testing out the detector and didn't give it a proper go. I also suspect that the gold in that area is not so big. Most of what I am getting in the sluice box is very small. But you never know. There is a huge area to search yet, and that river has a strong flow. There could be some gold quite a distance from where the water is now.

My SDC is about halfway to looking like yours JP. The knuckle despite what some thought early on looks like it will wear for a very long time with no ill effects.

Based on recommendations on other forums I got some 303 Aerospace Protectant. With a little work my wore out SDC ended up looking almost new using this stuff. It is supposed to be good for UV protection so good for desert climates. Lots of alternatives of course but this stuff I will vouch for. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KN0UOEE/

"Originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications, 303 Aerospace Protectant is a premium surface treatment that provides superior protection against harmful UV rays that cause discoloration, fading, embrittlement, cracking, chalking and/or loss of mechanical properties. Key benefits include keeping treated surfaces looking new, prevents fading and cracking, restores lost color and luster, powerful UV blockers, anti-static, repels smudges, dust, soiling and staining, matte finish with no oily residue. Easy to use just apply and wipe clean. Safe and Effective on vinyl, clear vinyl, gel-coat, fiberglass, carbon fiber, synthetic/natural rubber, plastics, and finished leather."

post-1-0-85345900-1417473919_thumb.jpg

• Like 1