White's Goldmaster V-SAT ?

Rod K

On 11/15/2017 at 6:43 PM, Jin said:

I bought one of those a while back. Tried following the manual but couldn't get the thing quiet. I think the ground was too mineralized. These are the coils that came with mine. Sorry the pictures are a little grainy. The lens on the iPad was dirty.

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

I have the white and red coil on a Goldmaster 2. Is it waterproof ???

I got a used one from the USA (Ebay) a few years ago for only $150 and used it a lot for a few months until I managed to find another GB2 for a reasonable price...BUT I also had to replace the crap Conc coil (red label one) with a later-built GMT DD coil. Fabulous detector and a joy to use especially when you've got a bung shoulder lol. Some pics here of some of the gold I got with it:

• Like 2

The concentric is not “crap” unless you got a bad one. More likely you are using it on highly mineralized ground where a DD coil is more appropriate. The concentric works great and would be my preference on low mineral ground over the DD. Different tools for different jobs.

Most older style White’s coils are foam filled and with age and excessive use the foam is prone to breaking down and allowing the windings to move, making the coils erratic with touch sensitivity and false signals in general. Not saying that’s the case with your old concentric but something to be aware of on all the older coils.

The old GM2 and V/SAT are very good by even today’s standards and illustrate that we really have not come very far with high frequency models since they first came out almost 30 years ago. Me and my old Goldmaster 2 (with crap coil :smile:) back in 1992...

steve-herschbach-1992-whites-goldmaster-2.jpg

• Like 6

The old Concentric coils were very good. I bought one to use with my GMT, and where I could run it, it outdid the DD easily on tiny stuff.

I've still got a GM 2, and GM3 as m y backup units. Really like that GM3, though they're a little noisy while adjusting the gain, and GB. I think the 3 is better than my GMT.

Jim

• Like 3

The early Whites CC coils are extremely 'crap' here in Oz, even in ground we consider quiet or mild. The amount of groaning noise masked most targets to the point where it was a 'throw away' coil. USA soils might be a far better match than here.... Minelab even tried to copy the Whites CC coil for their XT17000 as an accessory coil (internals were identical & same specs) and that was also a waste of time here. The DD coils totally transform the early high frequency Goldmasters though, a totally different beast!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 6:17 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The old GM2 and V/SAT are very good by even today’s standards and illustrate that we really have not come very far with high frequency models since they first came out almost 30 years ago.

Hello Steve, What’s the difference between GM2 and the V/Sat ? Which one do you prefer ?

17 hours ago, irvingabraham said:

Hello Steve, What’s the difference between GM2 and the V/Sat ? Which one do you prefer ?

Both detectors are basically the same, and have not been made in over 20 years. If I had to use one it would be the newer V/SAT, but reality is I have the newest Goldmaster 24K.

The Goldmaster II in 1990 was the first of the new "black box" 50 kHz Goldmaster series. There was an old Goldmaster series in blue boxes that used old TR technology and which should not be confused with the newer ground balancing units. List price new for the GMII was $499.95

The Goldmaster II was replaced by the Goldmaster V/SAT in 1994. The Goldmaster V/SAT added the "Variable Self Adjusting Threshold" control that gave the model it's name. The V/SAT also had a list price of $499.95

The Goldmaster 3 added an audio boost feature and was the last model that was convertible to chest or hip mount. The GM3 also introduced the DD coil still used on the Goldmasters to this day. The Goldmaster II and V/SAT had a concentric coil. List price was $599.95.

The Goldmaster 4/B introduced the new coin detector style box. List price was bumped to $699.95. The price increase and new box design were not well received. The 4/B was therefore not very popular and is rarer than the other models. It was also available in a rather clunky chest mount only version.

All these models offered essentially the same 50 kHz performance. The new Goldmaster GMT is a total redesign with digital processing, a refined iron id system, and most importantly, the option to either manually ground balance or auto ground balance. The operating frequency was shifted slightly to 48 kHz so as to not interfere with previous Goldmasters in the field. The ability to auto ground balance is a real boon to new users, while the ability to manually tune is a plus for the professional. Most other units on the market let you do one or the other, but not both. The GMT has been a very popular unit. List price is $799.95

Even though the GMT is 48 kHz and the prior models are 50 kHz, the coils are compatible with all these models. The Goldmaster 24K coils are not compatible with other Goldmaster coils.

Starting about 1990 the sequence was:

White's Goldmaster II (1990) - new 50 kHz model, on S rod with removeable control box.
White's Goldmaster V/SAT (1994) - added Variable Self Adjusting Threshold (V/SAT) control, on S rod with removeable control box.
White's Goldmaster 3 (1996) - Added frequency offset, boost options, three piece rod standard (optional in previous two piece models), on S rod with removeable control box. Widely considered the best analog Goldmaster.
White's Goldmaster 4/B (1998) - Added meter on a pod for iron discrimination, non-removable coin detecting type box design.
White's GMT (2000) - Completely new 48 kHz microprocessor model, non-removable coin detecting type box design.
White's Goldmaster 24K (2018) - Another completely new design, based on MX5 circuit board. New 24K coils are not compatible with prior Goldmaster models.

whites-goldmaster-v-sat-1994-catalog.jpg

• Like 5