Steelphase Audio Enhancement System

Jin

My sp01 Audio Enhancer arrived today in the post. I've been using a B&Z booster and have been happy when using it with the twin speakers setup. When using the headphones though I felt the quality of the sound wasn't quite good enough. Overall though the B&Z has been great.

When I heard about the Steel phase I thought the extra audio features might make the signal clearer when used with headphones so I bought one. As always Nenad is a pleasure to buy from. Always polite, punctual and lets you know whats happening after you've purchased and waiting for delivery. 

I've included a few pictures of the Steelphase next to the B&Z just for size comparison. The other units you see in the picture are my wireless transmit/receive units. Hopefully, they work as well as the did when connected to the B&Z.

All going well ill get to try it out next week.

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thought id do a little test in the front yard. We have power lines not far away so its Cancel mode or nothing with the 4500. Tried them with the Gog headphones and had to wind the audio right up. The Gogs are 150 ohms so need a little bit of extra drive power to get the best out of them compared to lower ohm headphones. The sound was pretty clear on a 1gm nugget (color).

Next, i used a pair of Aldi noise-canceling headphones.  They were louder and I didn't have to wind the volume up as much. Overall though if I was looking for gold the Gogs are crisper and in previous tests, against 3 other types of headphones, i found them slightly better by a margin at hearing targets the others didn't.

My wireless receiver has a mono plug but I noticed that the cable supplied by Steelphase is a stereo plug.  I'm not sure if this is making any kind of a difference until I read the manual or do some testing with the cable supplied. 

Its raining atm so i didn't compare the B&Z but I did plug the headphones directly into the 4500 and set target volume at 14. Could barely hear the target compared to using the Steelphase. So big thumbs up so far. 

• Like 2

I too am very interested in purchasing one of these. But the Aussies seem to be discriminating against this yank. They keep telling me soon.

I prefer to think that is doesn't work in the northern hemisphere. So Nenad, please get me sent one. :ph34r:

http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/steelphase-sp01-audio-enhancer/

• Sad 1

Mine turned up yesterday. Haven't used it in anger yet but if it works like it looks it'll be a winner.

Could do with a belt clip like my BZ's and as it's rechargeable I'd love a visual indicator that it does have charge in it as you can't just stuff batteries in it if you forgot to put the damn thing on charge (like I often do)

• Like 2

The key to using the B&Z with headphones is to lower the detectors audio so you can lift the B&Z volume above 2 1/2. If you want an amazing experience with the B&Z booster with headphones then get yourself some of these.
http:// https://www.bose.com.au/en_au/products/headphones/earphones/quietcomfort-20-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones.html#v=qc20_samsung_black

If your working in and around trees they remove all the wind noise especially the low frequency stuff, they are also excellent at removing traffic noise etc. 

5a109c39472ac_Boseheadphones.thumb.JPG.e26b7312bd6965703bce7b69c5947da8.JPG

• Like 2

Hi JP,

Thanks for the advice regarding lowering the audio. [The key to using the B&Z with headphones is to lower the detectors audio so you can lift the B&Z volume above 2 1/2.]

I think from memory I used to lower the audio to around 8 (GPX4500) when using the booster and headphones, maybe it should have been lower. 

I'll still be keeping my B&Z booster for my twin headphone setup. As I prefer one backpack to be set up with speakers permanently attached and one without which I use with headphones.  

I gave the SP a run this week but its probably best to leave any comparisons to more experienced people than me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1