Sign in to follow this  

Ok, I'm a newb, and maybe a bit impressionable, but this really caught my attention. It's a long video by Doc of Gold Hog, but if you jump to about 20:00 you'll just see it in action to see for yourself. It's essentially a small short sluice that is hand operated. He processes a bucket in less time that it took me to do one pan (first day of panning). I figure this is a good way to run some material quickly, without the sluice. 

I'm just beginning and hope this isn't a hoax, but it sure looks to make a lot of sense. Maybe someday I'll have a dredge or high banker, but this sure beats the pan for concentrating and suits my budget.

Hope you enjoy the vid as much as I did!

Edited by SteveJJ
The video was edited so changed time from 23:00 to 20:00
  • Like 2

Ummmm. What video?

As to panning and the time it takes there are a number of techniques and pans that will let you do short work of a good amount of material.

There is no reason to take more than a couple minutes per pan ... and depending on a few factors you should be able to do a pan in about 30 seconds.

Production panning can be done in an area where water is not adequate to run a sluice. Basically you will load the classifier and classify the shovel load of material into your pan, then with aggressive action you will reduce that pan full of material down to about 1/4  to 1/8 .... That's as far as you take that. You can either load the pan again with more classified material and pan that down and repeat or you can just empty that into a bucket and then reduce that again later... when you are done you should only have about a quart or less of concentrates from 25 gallons of raw material.....

Here is a short vid of a pan that I like ... It takes the gu longer to show you what he is doing that the actual process which really took him less than a minute to finish down further than what I described above. Then it should only take you a couple minutes to concentrate that quart or less down to a couple tablespoons... Final cleanup ,, where you really get the gold out of the other heavy minerals should not take but a few minutes as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Oh... and don't forget classifiers and snuffer bottles are your friends.....:biggrin:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SteveJJ said:

Ok, I'm a newb, and maybe a bit impressionable, but this really caught my attention. It's a long video by Doc of Gold Hog, but if you jump to about 23:00 you'll just see it in action to see for yourself. It's essentially a small short sluice that is hand operated. He processes a bucket in less time that it took me to do one pan (first day of panning). I figure this is a good way to run some material quickly, without the sluice. 

I'm just beginning and hope this isn't a hoax, but it sure looks to make a lot of sense. Maybe someday I'll have a dredge or high banker, but this sure beats the pan for concentrating and suits my budget.

Hope you enjoy the vid as much as I did!

That is a fast pan....and that was fun to watch.

Interesting yes!

I’ve been watching one video after another on how to get or collect gold depending on the term you wish to use. I seen another new gold pan too that you can add to the number we have already.

I don’t care what equipment you use but when it’s all said and done we back to a plain old gold pan at the end of the day.

Don’t get me wrong I love to have new equipment to play around with. I got stuff stacked up here to prove what I said is true.

I just try and keep my money in my pocket and make my own gold collecting equipment now days.

The trouble is when I go to a gold show I feel obligated not to come home empty handed and I never do. Then again it’s the same with me at a treasure show too.

Chuck

• Like 1

Interesting.  Gold Cube's Banjo Pan (https://goldcube.net/product/banjo-pan/) works similarly (quick work passing over a sluice mat).  It's not as big but also is less expensive ($30 for the Banjo Pan vs. $100 for the FlowPan, neither of those prices includes shipping).  It would be informative to see a competion between the two with, for example, a fixed amount of material, a fixed time limit, and a final measure of the recovery efficiency for gold of varying sizes.

Here's the creators' video on YouTube.  There are also independent users' videos out there as well.

• Like 1