Does anybody know why a gravel bar in a creek on Google Earth would show as Pink instead of black and white? This is in central Indiana, not much in colored rocks or mineral deposits in the area. It is a glacial gold area and with copper nuggets but they don't show up on aerial maps. I did spot a large gray clay stream bank on another creek which had alternating layers of red and gray just above the creek line like an ice cream cake. Too bad its owned by the state and they refuse to let us prospect there. It is a known gold creek too.

It cannot be seen without Google Earth and a Historical Imagery view of the woods taken March 30 ,2005, otherwise tree cover blocks the view on both of these creeks.

What's the best color laser printer for around $300 for aerial map prints?

-Tom V.

Don’t know on all counts Tom. Did you ever hike in and find out?

Its all private property so can't just hike in plus its 150 miles away. Plus its deer hunting season so kinda dangerous to be out prospecting for now.

I need to get my butt off my chair and go check a creek I map dowsed about 60 miles away.

Sure would be nice if it is a gold creek and so close to home. About a dozen farm ditches come together right before there and the resulting creek is like 40 feet wide with fast water, gravel, and bedrock areas. But there are 4 land owners to deal with. It is an old coal mining area and world famous iron concretion fossils just 20 miles away where Joe Public is allowed to collect but NOT dig for these things. Sposed to be ferns, amphibians, and such in these concretions mainly at Pit number 11 of the old strip mining area I hear. I did get a few colors in a creek 5 miles away.

I just got a new triangular shaped alluvial sluice from a seller in Surprise,Arizona to try out too.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By pepeli ridge
      I have been searching for a quartz reef for 3 years in this area and I found it. 1200mm wide ,and goes for 5 meters on top covered in moss,it's on a side of a ridge that was formed on a fault ,pushed up.
      the area is also covered in loose quartz rocks ,some the size of a football. white,yellow and rusty.
      I have been using a minelab 5000 in the area for a year. only found silver/lead nuggets and a hundred bullets .No gold. my experience with a detector and prospecting is a beginner.
      within a 6 kilometer radius of this spot are 5 gold mines ,2 working . old iron ore mine, old lead mine,and a old diamond mine. 
      excited ,I run the detector over the reef and near area for 3 days and got no signals.Zero hits.not even a bullet. complete nothing. 
      cheers
      Paul

• By geelong guy
      hi guys and gals i have been interested in gold for years but so far no luck have read heaps of books ect dont need x marks the spot but some advice on how you guys have found your bits and bobs im hoping to retire next year and chase some gold up at talbot in victoria an old friend has just bought a home there thanking you all happy hunting
    • By mn90403
      Most of us don't have a geology degree but it would probably help when we are out detecting and doing research.  Geology has a language laced with time periods that I've never taken the time to learn so this is going to be a ramble.
      This is a chart which can help us to know history and geology and place the events which formed our detecting areas into the puzzle.  We can then use plate tectonics to help us know how our region got to where it is today and understand the mountains and folds in the earth's crust.
      How do we tell the difference between geologic ages?
      http://www.stratigraphy.org/index.php/ics-chart-timescale
      One article I read said: On Earth, gold finally reached us some 200 million years after the formation of the planet when meteorites packed with gold and other metals bombarded its surface. During the formation of Earth, molten iron sank to its centre to make the core. This took with it the vast majority of the planet’s precious metals — such as gold and platinum. In fact, there are enough precious metals in the core to cover the entire surface of Earth with a four-metre thick layer.
      https://www.zmescience.com/science/how-gold-is-made-science-064654/
      And then came the plates!
      Tectonic Plates’ Patterns Revealed
      https://www.livescience.com/38819-plate-tectonics-patterns.html

Can someone that knows this stuff make it more simple?  haha  I mean where did the gold in Arizona, Nevada, California, Australia and New Zealand come from in a geological time frame (the beginning we know from the star or stars) and then the weathering has come into play.  I guess every local Mining College has people working on that so that professional miners are more successful than the rest of us.
      Clay, are you reading this?   The topic is too big so old timers learned from each other and passed along their knowledge of specific deposits and veins.  The USGS and satellite imagery are probably now the tools in use and maybe we as detectorists could get a drone?
      Mitchel

• By GotAU?
      Hello, I am using an iPad as a topo map when I’m out in the field, and also GoogleEarth, and have already downloaded the BLM’s active and inactive gold mine and prospects KML database for Google Earth and was wondering if anyone has found a good source for downloading BLM and/or National Forest KML files? I only seem to have found some local ones for Alaska on the BLM map server website, but nothing for any of the lower Western states. Thanks!
    • By Rick Kempf
      This looks interesting. An app for Android devices for tracking your detecting and recording finds. The possibilities for prospecting are really huge.
      Here's a post regarding the app.
      Link deleted since Findmall update broke all old links
      Here's a link to the Android Play Store for the app.
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trib.app.tectotraklite
      The IOS version is a Kickstarter Project and I went ahead and pledged $5 hoping he gets it done - cause I don't have an Android phone.
    • By KD0CAC
      I use to mine in No. CA in the 80s & 90s and used topographical maps back then with lots of details , fire & logging road etc.
      Any suggestions , I would like to check display & available details ?