So Steve, Whats Up With The Whites Gmz?

gambler

Hi, I read your opinion of the gmz, will it do the job or not?

whites-goldmaster-gmz-metal-detector-gol
White's GMZ gold nugget detector

What makes me ask is, I watched the video about the butte nugget. In it the guy says that it came up as a chunk of iron, yet he still dug it. I'm wondering if you would have dug it? Should I dig those? Do I always need iron discrimination ?

What makes me ask is, I watched the video about the butte nugget. In it the guy says that it came up as a chunk of iron, yet he still dug it. I'm wondering if you would have dug it? Should I dig those? Do I always need iron discrimination ?

Early nugget detectors like the original Fisher Gold Bug had no discrimination at all. You had to dig everything. We used a pick with a magnet on it to pick up the boot tacks, nails, and other iron junk. It wasn't any problem, and we didn't leave gold behind for the next guy. You all ways take a chance of leaving gold if you depend on any discrimination.

The GMZ does not have any discrimination. No problem for me. The thing that Steve and I dislike is that the GMZ runs silent without a threshold hum. We both are used to hearing the machine running and we listen for the fainest changes in that hum. They work, but we are not confident with a silent search detector. We feel that we might be missing the fly speck gold.

Rattlesnake Jim

• Like 1

Yeah, what Jim said about the lack of threshold on the GMZ. And $499.95 - seriously? That's about $200 too high for the feature set. Maybe you are paying for what you don't get!

Anyway, the video does not specifically say anything about discrimination. The demonstration and point made is that the nugget makes a huge overload signal, just like a buried can. An experienced GMZ user would be every much at risk as would any detector user of just thinking it was junk and walking away. The problem is while detecting we get huge targets, find out they are junk, and we get trained into thinking that huge sound means junk. Obviously that is not always the case.

Would I have dug it? Probably. First off, I am convinced I have indeed walked away from a big nugget thinking it was junk. I am very sensitized to the issue. The reality though is it depends on the context. If I am in old old campsite, look around me, and see 40 cans, I may very well not dig that boomer target. In this case the guy was in a patch and had already dug several nuggets. Yup, I would have dug it. If you are in a patch, dig it all.

No, you do not need discrimination. I did a whole article on how much it sucks http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/326-metal-detector-discrimination-really-sucks/ That said, if I want to dig it all, then personally I am going to use a PI detector because a VLF digging everything will miss far more gold than a PI digging everything. The only real reason I use a VLF anymore is to do recon work in trashy areas so the discrimination is really all a VLF offers me these days. If the VLF pops even a single nugget, now you kill the location with a PI detector. And that is why I personally do not need a GMZ.

now I understand. thanks guys.  I have more questions, but I'll ask later.