Big Coils -- Do You Still Use Them?

mn90403

Largest coil I have swung is the same 25" Nugget Finder as Reg mentioned, but on the GPX 5000

2009-25-nugget-finder-coil-moore-creek.jpg

Notice the swing arm fashioned out of a broken fiberglass shovel handle.

For where I hunt and the gold I get over, large coils have been something that never work out to be as magical as I hope. 14" to 18" coils are a much better fit for me in general.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Notice the swing arm fashioned out of a broken fiberglass shovel handle

It's amazing how much expense anyone with a bit of imagination can save by making or modifying/repairing their own prospecting gear. In this day and age of diminishing gold returns every penny saved is important.

It seems to me that the market for prospecting and after market gear is heavily loaded towards the affluent weekender.

Sorry Mitchel! Off topic, rant over!  :angry: :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good rant JR, but I think we are left behind the times a wee bit, our soldering irons, silastic solutions, etc  and don`t forget the duct tape fixes everything solution. But it is bloody good fun, me I just feel so privileged to have lived in the electronic gold rush age, may we all score a hundred and still be swinging big coils, little coils or whatever to get some weight.

• Like 6

My everyday Coil is a 14x10 DD, It weighs a few grams less than the factory 10"DD but it adds a few inches more depth and is very sensitive, The 14x10 DD is a better option to the 12" Concentric because if the ground hots up it does not loose depth and it is way lighter @674 grams, I also have the 15" MXT Max Concentric Coil but it is a bit unbalanced weighing in at 1047 grams,

• 2 months later...

what would the best big coil be? sounds like the nf25 is popular. I have 14"elite and love it, I want something big to check all my spots. I know I'd love the 18 elite but I figured if I'm gonna get a big coil and deal with it just to check spots, well why not get the biggest