Equinox 600 Versus Equinox 800

daryl curtis

Well, I officially took a journey to the "dark side." I bought an Equinox 600. I really kinda wanted the 800 and may still end up with that model in the long run, but I just didn't see enough of a difference between the two to justify the extra $250 while money is tight. My belief is that if I want to chase a little gold I can still find it with the 600 with multi-IQ, and if I want more fine tuning, I have a V3i for that. In any event, I'm excited to see how I like it. If I like it a lot I will find a way to grab the 800 up shortly after I'm sure. Call me crazy, but I feel guilt for parting with my MX Sport though. 

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

Amazingly even after writing a Minelab vetted article explaining that Multi-IQ is identical on the Equinox 600 and 800 it has become a matter of debate again on some forums. To quote the article:

”The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies, while the EQUINOX 800 also offers these plus the additional higher frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz. This does not mean that the 600 is not employing the full multi-frequency range as part of the Multi-IQ processing. Multi-frequency operation is identical in the two models...”

It’s that simple but conspiracy types want to point to perceived differences in diagrams trying to make the case otherwise. The fact is Multi-IQ is identical on both Equinox models and anyone insisting otherwise is pushing some hidden agenda.

• Haha 1

• 5 years later...
On 4/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Amazingly even after writing a Minelab vetted article explaining that Multi-IQ is identical on the Equinox 600 and 800 it has become a matter of debate again on some forums. To quote the article:

”The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies, while the EQUINOX 800 also offers these plus the additional higher frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz. This does not mean that the 600 is not employing the full multi-frequency range as part of the Multi-IQ processing. Multi-frequency operation is identical in the two models...”

It’s that simple but conspiracy types want to point to perceived differences in diagrams trying to make the case otherwise. The fact is Multi-IQ is identical on both Equinox models and anyone insisting otherwise is pushing some hidden agenda.

Even to date, in 2023, the same confusion and mixup is all over online still. When I was doing my research, I was glad to see how clearly it was explained on here (especially since the saga continues with 700/900 newer units essentially reigniting those discussions).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2023 at 8:08 PM, Skyshark said:

Even to date, in 2023, the same confusion and mixup is all over online still. When I was doing my research, I was glad to see how clearly it was explained on here (especially since the saga continues with 700/900 newer units essentially reigniting those discussions).

Yep. I can't tell you how many people told me I 'needed' to get the 800...even to this day. Like no, the 600 is exactly what I need...Now I just purchased the 700 and will probably get the same responses. This post should probably just be pinned.

• Like 1

There is such a thing as too much, and tripping over unneeded features. Manufacturers rely on the mindset of people "needing" certain features to get people to spend more money. So the "needed" feature is withheld from the less expensive model and included in the more expensive. Plus some people are what I call "detector snobs" playing the "my detector is better than your detector" game, more controls equating to better in their minds.

But no, a 600 will do just as well as an 800 and a 700 will do just as well as a 900 for a very large number of people. I kind of feel a pull to more concise control sets and simplicity myself.

It's pissing in the wind though, as the fact is the 800 sold so well many dealers did not even need to stock the 600. At the time the features the offered were seen as such an incredible value compared to more expensive detectors that it still came across as the bargain machine.

• Like 4

You nailed it, Steve. The technology is topping out and manufacturers seem to be relying more on “convenience” features to boost sales and compete. Sure, the convenience features are nice, but it still comes down to who is swinging the machine and how experienced and knowledgable he/she is with it and the targets he/she is seeking.

• Like 1