Highly Mineralized Ground

malco

Hi, how do you think it will preform when working in highly mineralized ground?    The Gold fields here in FNQ (Australia )  sorts out most coin and relic  detectors , mostly for the worst.    They just can't handle it good enough.     What I want to do is to be able to  detect in high trashy areas on the gold fields ( old camps and townships )  that are littered with all sorts of junk.        A lot of these detectors, although advertised to be able to work well in these conditions , in reality are pretty much a waste of time and money.    I use a GPX500 and a SDC 2300 ,perfect for  noisy ground so all I need to have an all-round arsenal  is hopefully the Equinox.        Regards Malco.

The Equinox detectors handle mineralized ground extremely well for a non-PI detector. It cannot be compared to detectors like the GPX 5000 and SDC 2300 when it comes to handling the worst mineralized ground - they are markedly superior in that regard. If those are the rulers you measure with, VLF detectors will always come up short.

Hi Steve, thanks for your quick  reply.     Yep I realize that a vlf won't  be anywhere as good  in that regard,  but it would be  good if the Equnox would perform a bit better than  what is out there at the moment.     Anyway not long now and I guess we will find out once they hit the market here and we get some reports coming in from the fields.     I'm sure they will go well , a lot of interested people waiting.    Malco1.

Steve, I have highly mineralized soil here in central Alabama. I have an E-trac, Ctx3030, F75, and Cz3d and have owned several other detectors over the years. I've never dug a silver dime here at greater than 7 inches. There are parks in Birmingham that I have hunted all day and not dig anything beyond 4 inches. So, do you think the Nox will get me an extra inch on silver or low conductors here?  Thanks 

I have been dealing with my own "wall" at about 6" due the the heavy magnetite content of the ground here. Nothing except a PI seemed to get me past it. I do know exactly what you are talking about. Since I got the EQX800 I am for the first time in ages finding silver on almost every outing, sometimes multiples. (Show and tell down the road one of these days). That has not happened to me in a long time. So yes, I do feel there is an edge but it is not strictly due to outright depth but the combination of a new multifrequency method and high speed. The problem, and people are going to hear this a lot, is that the world is a big place and I only have access to a tiny bit of it. I can't and will not make any blanket statements or promises regarding how the Equinox everywhere because I just do not know. The last thing I want you doing is getting one because I said it will give you that extra inch in Alabama only to find out it does not. In my own way I am out on a limb because more than most people I realize the vast disparity of hunting conditions we all face and I am not so arrogant as to think I can know better than the people actually on site. This is all complicated by the fact that Multi-IQ really is new, and so I can't project anything I have learned from other detectors over the years onto it. It really is a new ballgame.

It is a bit frustrating however as I do currently have what appears to be a secret weapon as regards local "hunted out" parks, but I am facing imminent winter and a week long trip to Alaska soon that puts a hole in what tiny amount of time I have left, unless I get real lucky and the weather stays mild. Even that won't stop me but the drives will get longer. Long story short I would like to put this thing over every bit of dirt within 100 miles before anyone else gets one but right now I am fighting just to get a few hours here and a few hours there.

The best way to do these things is treat me as a single data point. You can trust what I say but at the same time everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. The other testers should get more active soon, and you can add their data points. Sooner or later regular folks will start adding their own information. Right now you have a fuzzy picture but it will just keep getting sharper. All the machines you all have are still working and this is not an emergency. It is just a matter of following along until you are comfortable about pulling the trigger - or not :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve, you can probably disregard the pm I just sent now that I read this thread..lol.  great info!!  Thank you. 

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have been dealing with my own "wall" at about 6" due the the heavy magnetite content of the ground here. Nothing except a PI seemed to get me past it. I do know exactly what you are talking aboutSince I got the EQX800 I am for the first time in ages finding silver on almost every outing, sometimes multiples. (Show and tell down the road one of these days). That has not happened to me in a long time. So yes, I do feel there is an edge but it is not strictly due to outright depth but the combination of a new multifrequency method and high speed. The problem, and people are going to hear this a lot, is that the world is a big place and I only have access to a tiny bit of it. I can't and will not make any blanket statements or promises regarding how the Equinox everywhere because I just do not know. The last thing I want you doing is getting one because I said it will give you that extra inch in Alabama only to find out it does not. In my own way I am out on a limb because more than most people I realize the vast disparity of hunting conditions we all face and I am not so arrogant as to think I can know better than the people actually on site. This is all complicated by the fact that Multi-IQ really is new, and so I can't project anything I have learned from other detectors over the years onto it. It really is a new ballgame.

It is a bit frustrating however as I do currently have what appears to be a secret weapon as regards local "hunted out" parks, but I am facing imminent winter and a week long trip to Alaska soon that puts a hole in what tiny amount of time I have left, unless I get real lucky and the weather stays mild. Even that won't stop me but the drives will get longer. Long story short I would like to put this thing over every bit of dirt within 100 miles before anyone else gets one but right now I am fighting just to get a few hours here and a few hours there.

The best way to do these things is treat me as a single data point. You can trust what I say but at the same time everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. The other testers should get more active soon, and you can add their data points. Sooner or later regular folks will start adding their own information. Right now you have a fuzzy picture but it will just keep getting sharper. All the machines you all have are still working and this is not an emergency. It is just a matter of following along until you are comfortable about pulling the trigger - or not :smile:

Steve

Thanks for mentioning hunting that particular park with the EQ. :ohmy: Saved me the trouble of PM'ing you.

:happy: Tom

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Since I got the EQX800 I am for the first time in ages finding silver on almost every outing, sometimes multiples.

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

...I would like to put this thing over every bit of dirt within 100 miles before anyone else gets one...

It's ok to leave a few crumbs for us paupers.  :sad:

Yeh, I'm not within 100 miles of Reno.  Now I see why you can't contain yourself in 'leaking' how well this thing works.  I've been trying my best to stay subdued (and have done well so far), but if you're finding silver when you weren't before, assuming you are in the same or similar locations, then I am going to get excited.  I sure hope it's the unmasking properties that you're experiencing because, IMO, that's where the finds are hiding in much of the Eastern US, and maybe even moreso in the ghost towns out west.