Is It A Good Coil? 18" Mono Nuggetfinder Old Style

IronDigger

Hi folks, I am interested to know if this coil is any good? It looks like an older model Nuggetfinder...If anyone is familiar with the performance of this coil please let me know. Only reason i ask is because I would like to buy it, but I don't know much about the early Nuggetfinder coils quality. If any Aussie shooters or here in the States have any info, I would appreciate to hear what you think of it. Thanks ! 

18 nuggetfinder.jpg

I had the 16 inch mono that appears to be of the same vintage. It was my general go to coil of that era on the GP3000, fairly sensitive to the small stuff, lightweight and with good depth. 

• Like 2

I have a 20" of similar age which I no longer use. It dates back to when Rowan and his dad Barrie were working together. For a time it was my main search coil but I eventually downsized to a 14" Coiltek orange coil. The Nuggetfinder was quite light for its size, but it became touch sensitive, which usually indicates shielding failure.

• Like 1

From my experience I would not purchase a 2nd hand detector coil without trying it. To date the longest lasting coil I have had is the 14" GPZ 7000 coil. No other coil of any brand I`ve used for so many hours has gone close to its 3 plus years. I guess that has to do with the treatment we give them, belting about on rocks around trees, grass. Coil material cracks, internals come loose, shields fail. Best way I`ve found to avoid some of this is to go for Phoenixs PC adhered directly to coil skid plate, works a charm.

A tid bit- I recall a story from another prospector where he killed a snake with his coil, they have a hard life thus check them out before buying is the best bet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1