Sign in to follow this  
TerryinHawaii

Gold Monster & Hawaii Micro Jewelry

I am using the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 here in Oahu.  So far I have found 16 gold jewelry items.  And yes, I do dig a lot of tin foil and many small pieces of other types of metal.  Most of the time, I can operate in manual sensitivity level 9 or 10.  In some areas, I do have to switch over to auto sensitivity + to be able to hunt.  I do have high hopes for the Equinox 800 here. 

• Like 3

I have wondered about the Gold Monster as a micro jewelry detector and I would say you just proved it is a good fit Terry! I do think the Equinox 800 is going to prove to be an excellent machine for both in the saltwater and in the dry sand. Will it do both well enough to eliminate the need for specialty units? Only time will tell as people around the world match and compare. Looking good so far though!

After I get the Equinox 800 and if it closely matches the Gold Monster in finding small gold jewelry as I think it will.  Then I will only use the Equinox 800 for hunting here.  I also ordered the 6 inch coil for hunting in between rocks in the ocean water.  I must admit that I expect to have several fine gold chains now with the Gold Monster.  But maybe I just have not been over the top of one.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      So, I was out detecting with John (kiwijw) yesterday however that's another story, my Gold Monster was put in the car the night before, we got down quite cold overnight, I think it was -6 but my car was in the garage so I guess it got down to about 0 in the car, then in the morning I jumped in my car and John and I went to a spot to do a bit of gold prospecting.  I found a nice sounding target with my GPX and dug it up but couldn't for the life of me find it, so I went and got my GM1000 and used that to pinpoint the target and recover it, it was just a shutgun pellet, but it was very muddy where I did it and I was sure I had mud under my coil cover so I thought I'd pop it off to take a look as I was right at a creek and figured I'd rinse it off as I wasn't intending on using the Monster the rest of the day so I was going to break it down to put in my backpack rather than leave it lying around as I wander off detecting.
      During the process of popping it off pressing my finger onto the coil caused it to crack, a big crack too... I'm not sure if it was because of the cold the night before causing the plastic to go brittle or a fault with the plastic but surely it shouldn't crack pressing on it to get the coil cover off.
      I've sent Minelab Service an email asking if they're going to cover it under warranty. I think they should, it's hardly any sort of mistreatment however they can probably try get out of it as they could say its some sort of physical damage.  This will be a test as to how good their service is.
      This is the second issue I've had with my Monster, the first was the speaker on it failed, repaired under warranty although Minelab doesn't cover shipping costs in NZ like USA.

• By Jackpine
      are starting to heat up.  I spent a couple hours at the sand bar this morning and managed a couple pieces.  Nothing to brag about as the stones in the ring are CZ's.   The hoop earring is silver plated.  There were 3 other hunters out and their finds were meager as well with only one gold ring being reported at this spot so far.  
      The wire mesh I had welded in the scoop worked a dream.  The earring back in the pic is just one of many tiny bits it captured saving a lot of time. 😉
      The nut

The heartbreak

It really felt good to get out and get started on this years "crop"!  👍
    • By PG-Prospecting
      Finally found my fist Virginia picker with the GM 1000 on the private land that i have access too!  This is my first piece of detected gold from here.  Ive found lots of nuggets dredging the creek but nuggets have eluded my detecting efforts.  
      I found this one in a small feeder creek.  I have since detected most of the feeder and found nothing else.  I still have yet to find any pickers or nuggets outside the creek at this location which is frustrating to say the least.  I also run a GPX4800 outside the creek but no dice still.  Up to 12 gram nuggets found dredging in the creek but nothing outside of it.  One of these days lol.  

• By Mxt Sniper
      I was just wondering if there was any plans of aftermarket coils being produced for the Minelab GM1000? I can think of a couple reasons why they would be welcomed. The coils seem to be impact sensitive, and the coils do not have good edge sensitivity. Am also wondering if a concentric coil can be built to work on the gm1000? I tend to prefer concentric coils over dd's for vlf nugget detecting.
    • By Mike Hillis
      Hunting tiny gold jewelry in inland sites is just so different from mainstream detecting methods that unless you do it you don't understand the requirements.    
      #1.   EMI stability.   Your detector has to be stone cold stable.  No spurious noise.  None.  The signals you are after are small tight signals and you can’t hear them if your detector is making spurious noises.
      #2.   The detector needs to be able to keep its HOTs at low gain/sensitivity settings because:
      a... You need to be able to focus on the right depth of signals and those tiny signals are not deep.  Most of the time they are just down in the grass roots.   You want to focus only on the top three to four inches of depth.   If you have to run your sensitivity at or near max all you are doing is masking the desired signal response with reports from all the other signals surrounding it and below it.  And in cases where the ground minerals are high, the ground itself will mask the response.  
      b... You need to control the coil foot print.  In this type of hunting you don’t want coil edge surface responses.  You only want to hear what is directly under your coil.   Concentric coils work better at this than DD coils.  DD coils are ok but you get better footprints with concentric and tighter readings on your meter.
      #3.  The higher the operating frequency, the more important the above become.  As the operating frequency goes up, the level of discrimination goes down because the trash targets hit harder and sound better.   In other words, the higher the operating frequency the better the trash sounds and responds.
      #4.  Notch discrimination or some other form of discrimination that will allow you to focus just on the signal range you are hunting.   The only range of signals you are interested in are in the ferrous/non-ferrous boundary range and the foil range up to maybe the nickel reading.   All other signals are distractions.
      I'm editing to add a number #5.   Tiny signal audio boost is a big plus if it can be deployed while keeping original signal response integrity.  
      I'll close with this.....You can take a gold prospecting unit onto a woodchip playground or a sand pit and as long as it can handle the EMI you can hunt with it on normal settings.  But if you are targeting sites  where good quality, tiny jewelry is most likely to be present, you will be working a lot of turf sites where a prospecting detector's normal feature set isn't going to be very helpful. 
      HH
      Mike