Garrett ATX Strip Down & Rebuild

Steve, I must say that looks incedibly fun. I really enjoy the customizing of most anything to get the traits I desire from them, and I see you are as well. Well done on all the quality photo recording process as well, I am very curious to see your finished product. Pioneering people, where would we be without you?

Great stuff!

I have the Infinium DD and shaft(same one Steve H. put together) that I've used only once. I am considering selling it but need to look up cost. Less than I paid for it but I don't want to take a beating.

I really am remiss in not getting this done yet. Chris and I have actually been out doing a lot of blue sky prospecting in California and Nevada the last month. Just visiting lots of new places looking for future possibilities. I am hunkering down a bit to finish off several projects so I can not have them hovering in my mind while I am detecting and this is one of them so stay tuned. Eventually!

It has been fun messing around with the options but the fact is I am just out using the stock ATX as is and learning to live with the weight, much like I am having to do with the GPZ.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

OK, if people have not figured it out yet when something attracts my attention I can go kind of nuts over it. The flip side is once I get distracted by the latest new thing that fires my imagination I may wander off the previous item for some time before getting back to it. Such has been the ATX project. I never leave things undone however and this one has got to get off the "to do" list.

I got a request recently for a better photo of the circuit boards. If the person involved is looking for me to get down and dirty and identify every component I am sorry but that is not going to happen. I don't mind taking another couple photos but this forum is not about trying to deconstruct circuit boards. So I hope this helps but if not, sorry!

Anyway, I am running out of project time before it is time to get serious about prospecting again so time to bring this thread back to life. Do not expect results tomorrow but I am going to get this wrapped up this month.

garrett-atx-main-circuit-board.jpg

garrett-atx-main-pod-board.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/1/2016 at 1:43 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

OK, if people have not figured it out yet when something attracts my attention I can go kind of nuts over it. The flip side is once I get distracted by the latest new thing that fires my imagination I may wander off the previous item for some time before getting back to it. Such has been the ATX project. I never leave things undone however and this one has got to get off the "to do" list.

Anyway, I am running out of project time before it is time to get serious about prospecting again so time to bring this thread back to life. Do not expect results tomorrow but I am going to get this wrapped up this month.

Good Steve, I've followed this thread with much interest and wish you the best possible results with this project... many thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Jim.

• 11 months later...

OK, you caught me, and believe it or not I have a 2017 New Years list in front of me which consists of finishing unfinished projects including the ATX. One of my personality traits is I hate not finishing stuff so this one has been nagging at me. Another trait is bouncing around a lot from project to project getting back to some sooner or later but on this one later has got out of control. Anyway, I am on it, results this month - I promise!!

Funny, I intended this project as a stick in the eye to Garrett goading them into making a lighter weight ATX. Looks like even with all the delay I will still beat them to it.

• Like 7