Garrett ATX Strip Down & Rebuild

You can do it steve, what a clever idea. What a great project,and one that also pays you back in the end.

lm sure the big boys are watching and listening to your modifications. Next i would like to see you modify

a gold bug into a light weight pinpointer,

Rick- I hope your right about the "big boys watching". I realize I'm a grumpy old prospector but I have yet to use any detector that didn't have pain in the %#$@ flaws that could have easily been corrected if the manufacturer had just visited Steves' forum before they went into production.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Good job Steve,

Especially with the older coil top used to connect the lower shaft, This will greatly balance out the coil.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Just a FYI for you and others. You did a strip down of the Garrett Recon some time back at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/61-garrett-atx-guts-possible-dry-land-modification/ Here is your picture of the Recon board over my picture of the ATX board. Note the part labeled in your picture "cut off" is already gone from the ATX board. I did not do that. And of course numerous differences in the actual circuitry.

garrett-recon-board-vs-atx.jpg

Garrett Recon Circuit Board (Top) Compared to Garrett ATX Board

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Steve,

Ok,  Now I remember that extra portion needed o be cut off. Short term memory and old are getting the best of me :)

All the best with ATX project,  You'll do well putting it back together into a cool setup, 

Paul

OK, company I ordered from backordered my new housing, so called this morning, should ship by tomorrow. In the meantime, coil is almost done. I trimmed the new top down and plugged the hole where I cut the old cable off. Good old duct tape on inside bottom of hole and epoxy layered on top. I stuck the top to the coil with double sided sticky tape, then sealed inside edges with some leftover construction mastic I has sitting around. Then a bead of 5200 sealant around outside top edge. Looking pretty good if I do say so myself. Once this all sets up firm by tomorrow I can do a little sanding, apply my homemade ATX decal, and put on the scuff cover. Should look about as good as most aftermarket coils!

I rounded up a standard headphone jack and alternative power switch at Radio Shack. I am about down to just waiting for that housing to arrive. I have that more or less figured out so should not take long to finish up once that arrives. I am crossing my fingers a bit yet on not screwing anything up but so far I think I am going to be real happy with this.

atx-coil-with-commander-bottom-2.jpg

atx-coil-with-commander-top-2.jpg

The Recon and ATX are similar in operation also. The main difference is the Recon is a non-motion model requiring constant manual retuning. The non-motion mode on the ATX is the normal mode on the Recon. It makes the Recon impractical for more than very slow site searching. Like that a person might undertake looking for a mine!