Garrett ATX Strip Down & Rebuild

OK, final pieces are falling onto place. I did not want to drill any more holes in the case to mount circuit board and needed to space it above installed control panel. Wandered Home Depot for some time and inspiration hit. I got little plastic pads designed to be stuck in the bottom of chair legs. Two stacked got me the proper distance. And velco stickies to made the board removeable! We sure have cool stuff these days to do almost anything.

This is nice as I wanted to get board located to make final decisions on where to put controls and speaker. I can do that then pull board back out to drill final holes, etc. then put it back in. Gives me a bit of wiggle for spacing also and a shock mount effect. I like it!

garrett-atx-circuit-board-velcro-mount.jpg

garrett-atx-custom-box-interior.jpg

garrett-atx-circuit-board-mountedr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have being following this thread for a little while now with a lot of interest. Good work Steve. At this point I thought I might have a little input. Have to considered what batteries you are going to use in the striped down version. I was thinking that using 3*16850 LI-ion batteries over the 8*AA rechargeable's  would save about 1/4lb in weight.

This leads me to my next question, has any one done any performance tests with regard using the rechargeable's v's alkalines, or what is the max permitted voltage will the ATX take? I am thinking would increasing the voltage actually increase performance depth wise like the way it increases the performance on the TDI?

Niall, Ireland.

I will have to consider that as it had not occurred to me. How would that affect operating time?

I am guessing the ATX is regulated such that increasing the battery power will not affect performance but will check on that and get back to you here. There is the definite risk of blowing something.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow the weight problem fixed this is a great idea.i am new to this forum but not new to detecting and well I've always said don't think outside the box blow it up and keep trying to make it better then do it again its can always be better and lighter and faster. I believe those boards are much closer alike then u see don't just look at the components soldered on the board look at the traces from what I can see much closer to the same then not.

Thanks for the info

Dan

I think that I am going to sling mount my control box around my neck and use an Infinium DD coil on a "S" handle  and see if this will work as to rebuilding the complete unit. I like the idea that you have Steve. I rebuilt a MXT one time with a chest mount and the control panel attached to the box. This worked out OK.