Ive been hunting for 9 months, and Ive only found 20 silver coins and 5 silver rings.. Where did 17 silvers come from? Yup.. folks front yards. 

I was Pressure washing a guys house (side job) and I asked if would mind if I looked for coins in his front yard. Sure he said. ( 1940 home) 

2 Mercs, 1 rosie, 1 silver pendant. Then the neighbor came out I talked to her, and she said yes.. found my first silver half Franklin.. 3 inches deep!

Then.. it gets better, leaving the silver half home the other neighbor was out pruning flowers and I introduced my self and told her my hobby, she said yes, and I found 2 more mercs and a Standing Liberty Quarter!

That one day in 3 front yards was epic. Shocking enough non of the coins were beyond 6 inches deep. In Tennessee the soil is mostly clay/loam/chert so the slow sink rate helps.

I sold home security systems door to door for a while so door knocking never bothered me, but I normally have a cigar treasure hunting.... so I hunt in parks lol.

• Like 4

Wow, that's an interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Unless a coin falls in very muddy areas they don't really sink. They get pushed under from various means. However, mostly the freeze/thaw cycle, litter build-up and animals digging cause them to go deep...and sometimes pushed to the surface.  Of course, gardeners and construction work contribute also...............

fred 

• Like 2

I think my bonafide deepest coin was a green wheatie detected in a state park in Wisconsin way back when the Tesoro Tejon had just come out. I had my whole Lesche digger in the hole, handle and all, close to a foot deep in fairly hard dirt mid summer. I woulda kept that detector but it did not have the VCO audio so would beep the same loudness no matter if shallow or deep plus it loved deep iron. I was on a club hunt that day in late summer. Most coins seem to be in the surface to 7 inch range.