No Crumbs For The SDC Today

Condor

I expanded my search and ventured into an area of steep canyons, shallow bedrock, though not generally considered a gold producing area. I plotted the course with Google Earth and estimated a 3 mile zone with a continuous desert wash. I hiked less than an hr and started seeing exposed bedrock. I unpacked the SDC and within 5 minutes got a good target. The large flat nugget was in a shallow depression. Wow, I thought I was going to need a burro to hike out all the gold I was about to find. No joy for the next hr and a half. I reached a huge dry waterfall and decided to turn back. I took it slow concentrating on only exposed or very shallow bedrock. I picked up the heaviest nugget jammed in a bedrock crack, I had to chip away at the edges to get it out. 100 yards further, the last nugget was in narrow crack in a smooth bedrock raceway. This turns out to be my best morning, 3 hrs, 3 nuggets, 5.2 grams. I'll give her another go tomorrow, less walking and coil to the ground. The surprising thing was no little crumbs, just decent nuggets that any detector would have found..

post-1-0-28848200-1417646654_thumb.jpg

Nice! I reduced the image size and tried best I could to sharpen it up, but still a bit blurry. No doubt about though, nice gold! That the kind of stuff I actually would rather find than big nuggets, if I had the choice. In other words an ounce of those instead of an ounce nugget. The problem is it does not work like that. It is a lot easier to get an ounce in one hole than to find an ounce of chunkies like those. Or at least these days. Used to be a guy could find piles of nuggets like that.

Glad to see hitting remote areas is paying off for you. A guy has to get out and walk these days, no doubt about it.

I suck with that smart phone camera.  I'll check the settings and see if I can get a better shot.  The heavy, dark colored nugget has attached quartz, you'd think I could find a decent ledge or reef of that stuff one of these days.  All that hiking cuts down on my time with women who suffer a want of chastity.  Has to be a benefit in there somewhere, though I haven't figured it out.