Minelab Discount For U.S. Military

Just to clear up some info for all.

1 of these 3 items will work for my business to allow the 15%  and Minelab has agreed.

1) Either a copy of DD-214 (yes you may black out the SS#).

2) Either copy of Military ID card (yes you may block out any #'s).

or 3) Copy of VA card (yes you can black out #'s).

Any of those 3 will work for www.gerrysdetectors.com

How to get it to dealer?  Simply scan and email or take a picture with your phone and email.

USMil.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

I think there is a fine line when a true military discount is used for someone who is not military----- kinda feels like a slap in the face to me.

It cheapens the discount  Minelab has graciously volunteered to give veterans. I applaud them for their effort, but i have seen more than one detector sold under the guise of "Military discount"  --reminds me of the guys on the corner panhandling with their Green Berets on... who never did a day in the  service.

Granted this is just my opinion---  i will leave it at that...

Agreed but isn’t that why proof of service is asked for?  

What am I missing besides “some people will commit fraud”? That is just a sad and disappointing fact of life and is true for any kind of discount offered to a particular group (e.g., senior discount) not just veterans.  Thanks.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Agreed but isn’t that why proof of service is asked for?  What am I missing?

People were scamming. Though to be fair we are often talking vets buying a detector on behalf of a non-vet buddy also more so than people faking an id.

• Like 2

At first things were going smooth for Veterans with the Military Discount some dealers allow.  Then the funny stuff started happening and I assure you, the rules will be changing.  I just hope they don't get rid of it totally.

Right now I am still offering the full 15% until Minelab tells me something different.

Hopefully the other brand name manufactures get on board and offer something similar.

Thanks for sharing that very informative link Vanursepaul, much kind of you.

• Like 2

As a Veteran and a Multi Line Dealer, I've mentioned the importance of such and have been told by the others who do not offer it.. "We are looking into all ways to promote our products".  Maybe the Equinox Firestorm will shake things up?  

Sorry...No Maybe... IT IS.. and the Heat is getting Hotter by the day.

• Like 1

Since the 15% is based on MAP, it was often less hassle to just negotiate a 10 - 15% reduction from MAP and be done with it.  For right now however, the short supply of the Equinox is making the 15% discount thing very attractive.  When the pipeline fills, it will be less so as dealers become more willing to “deal” in order to get the sale.

When I studied Economics in the University ages ago, our Major Prof. Talked a lot about “Convenient Social Virtue” this is the concept that certian jobs carry a non-salary “premium”.  The social credit earned is part of the compensation and traditionally has been “used” to depress wages in these positions relative to the marketplace.  Examples given were schoolteachers, nurses, clergy, police and fire and military.  The rise of public employees unions have done something to remove the salary “discount” - especially considering public sector pension benefits, but the idea that certian people deserve extra consideration still lingers.

I served my time during the Vietnam era, volunteering for the USAF and pilot training - but would almost certainly not have entered the military without the draft breathing down my (pre-lottery) neck. It was my duty as a citizen and I don’t expect any special consideration because of it.  In today’s all volunteer military, I think that they indeed deserve consideration.

I am buying an 800 however and have sent my dealer a copy of my DD-214.  May understanding is that the dealer takes the “hit” for about half the 15% and that ML compensates him (perhaps not in cash) for the other half.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2018 at 3:01 PM, Wloch248 said:

Anyone know if the 15% discount for military would also apply to lets say a Pro Find 35? It is a “metal detector” albeit a hand held one. Just curious.

MInelab stated in their 2018 Special that it is valid for ALL Minelab detectors with the exception of their entry-level GO-Find MD's