Ground Balancing The 7000

rockett

Hi all  does anybody ground balance there machine as per instructions then leave the machine on the ground with ferrite under the plate ?

I did this while i was getting the rest of my gear ready and it really made it quieter , in very  hot ground.

The machine was sitting there for about 5 to 8 min approximately. 

The ground balance is always averaging (unless you have it set to manual GB mode).  If I set it next to my pick for a while or on one patch of hotter ground, it will add this data into the averaging.  Remember, if you run the GPZ for 2 hrs, it is not going to keep all of that data.  It will record a certain time period or algorithm and scrap the rest.  Your goal is to ensure it has the best data in that loop.  That is why I put my detector in manual mode when I set it off to the side.  But if your ground mineralization does not vary much, you will likely not notice a difference by setting it off to the side and keeping it in automatic GB mode.    You can read a lot about the ground balance procedure by doing some searches on here.  There is much to read.  Some of the information was moved to another link, however.

I only use the button when I am in areas with different mineralization (for example if the new area has more black sand or red rock ..etc.)  Hope that helps.  There are many who will have explained this far better than me in past threads.

• Like 1

I've never tried that but I'm sure I read somewhere that somebody used to tape a ferrite ring on the detector shaft about half a foot from the coil.  Not sure if it was a Z or a GPX but apparently it kept it real quiet as it was continuously tracking to the ferrite.  Probably not required now if you run in semi-auto tracking as your ferrite is locked anyway.

Related question.  When you set it across to manual ground balance (during a dig) does the Z prompt you on the screen to re-use the ferrite ring and perform a Quick-Trak?  Every time I have tried this it changes to 'Perform a Quick-Trak' on the screen and won't go away until I do it.  It gave me the ships doing that so I now just change to a ground mode that I am not planning on using and it can sit there soaking up the data and then when I start detecting again I switch back to the ground mode I was using. 

How can I get it to swap to manual without making me re Quick-Trak?  Please :wink:

8 hours ago, Northeast said:

I've never tried that but I'm sure I read somewhere that somebody used to tape a ferrite ring on the detector shaft about half a foot from the coil.  Not sure if it was a Z or a GPX but apparently it kept it real quiet as it was continuously tracking to the ferrite.  Probably not required now if you run in semi-auto tracking as your ferrite is locked anyway.

Northeast, now that you mention it, I do remember someone who used to tape their ferrite in the way you mentioned.  If I recall correctly, it cut down on EMI.  I never tried it myself.  I thought it was mentioned on Rob's forum a while back.

The averaging is happening on two fronts, since the release of the GPZ 7000 there has been a number of updates so the software has changed a few times, subsequently the averaging is not quiet so important with the ferrite balance any more and basically redundant in Semi Auto mode (I highly recommend users operate in Semi Auto mode at all times).

If you are in doubt about your ground balance then its not hard to power cycle the unit (turn off then on again) which flushes the algorithm except for the last known fixed point. 

Best bet is to pass the coil over the ferrite with the Quick Trak button held in till there is no noise, then pump the coil nearby till there is no noise in either direction (Up or down) then pass over the ferrite again. Keep doing this process till there is no noise heard on the ferrite after the GB has been normalized nearby. You can use the sweep method of ground balance too but I've found there is more accuracy if the coil is pumped once the Quick Trak button is released. The accuracy I seek is down to the auto GB being very slow due to the nature of DOD coils to prevent tracking out deep targets, sweeping gives an averaging, pumping givings accuracy immediately under the coil, I use the pumping method to bring the detector back to a defined point then let the averaging go from there as I sweep the coil looking for gold.

DO NOT PUMP THE COIL OVER THE FERRITE, always sweep the coil over the ferrite.

There is no advantage in having the ferrite near the coil whilst detecting.

JP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5