New Mexico/ Ground Condition/ Tesoro

...I've got a Tesoro Mohave coming in (after using the Minelab 305 last year, and the Tesoro SilverMax a few years back)(oh, and also a Teknetics EuroTec--arrggg)...the Mohave has a Ground Condition switch, and I'm curious about mineralization in southwest high desert (specifically central NM)--is it generally high or low mineralization, though I realize there's quite a varied geology in NM?  PS: chose the Mohave from Tesoro's lineup because I figured a new machine equals new and better circuitry, and ditto the Epsilon 7" coil.  What say?

Most of the U.S. Southwest would be considered moderate to high mineralization, but as with any huge area in reality it is all over the place. It just depends on where you are. I have gone from low mineral ground to high mineral ground in 50 feet. The Mojave is not exactly a nugget detector, but it should handle the ground where you are well enough.

New Mexico Research Example

Hello Steve...thanks for the information...I'd always considered a fixed ground circuit to be better than a manual adjust, and the high/low is one of the reasons I went for the Mohave...as for gold: no plan to prospect, even though there are sites nearby--but try finding an unfenced patch anywhere in the gold areas...some weekend coin shooting would be fine, and some off-road scanning near the old Camino Real will do it for me...Regards, Vincent

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I live in south central NM and have used the old Fisher 1266x, 1235x and 1236x2.  Also the Tesoro bandido ll umax, Vaquero, Cibola, Compadre and I have a Mojave on the way.  I can honestly say I have never had a problem with mineralization.  Maybe I'm doing something worog? 

Hi Oldknifemaker...here's my experience...I'm now doing some detecting for an archaeologist who is contracting on private land. Specifically, he is searching for very early Spanish colonial evidence (metal). The archaeologist has been using a high end machine with a huge coil (biggest I've ever seen) successfully. He tells me that he uses a low ground setting. I'm using my Tesoro (7" coil) on high setting, because at low setting I'm digging every hot rock on the field and find it impossible to distinguish targets from rocks (the Pro tells me that volcanic surface rocks are to blame). But at low, I am really zeroing in on colonial metal--individual chain armor rings no larger than a smallish trout fishhook, at 5". I'm thinking that our machines are simply wired/tuned differently at the factory. This Mohave is such a pleasure to use--the sound-only allows me to keep my eyes on the ground and where I'm going (it's a huge field). Now here's a funny story for you: a native American I know wants me to teach him detecting with the Mohave so he could detect on the reservation!

Hi Vincent,  I agree that the detectors are more than likely wired/tuned differently.  My guess is that all manufacturers design and build circuits differently to perform the same function.  I'm sure most are proprietary and  and would bet that some are patented.  I received my  Mojave and took it out on my property to play with it and got a loud signal by my workshop.  I dug it and what a surprise.  It was a 12" aluminum pot.  Now why would that be buried on my property?  I live out in the  county on 2.5 acres and this was once a working cattle ranch.