A Unique Accidental Coin Find

I can even guess it happened on the Fourth of July. There is no more important holiday in the Alaska mining camps, with mines often closing and miners getting together for miner's meetings and such. The Fortymile Mining District 4th of July event is still very big, with miners coming out of the woods from creeks all around to attend. So I am seeing this as a possible 4th of July competition.

That's the fun of detecting. What is it? Who held it last? Why did it get lost? We enjoy a direct connection to history few others enjoy.

• Like 4

I'd bet its a bullet hole for sure..Tossed in the air and shot right through the middle by a sharp shooter...Maybe thats taking it a bit too far but treasure hunters have to dream big you know...

strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That's the fun of detecting. What is it? Who held it last? Why did it get lost? We enjoy a direct connection to history few others enjoy.

Did Annie Oakley ever travel to Alaska?  She would have been 32 when this coin was minted (died in 1926 at age 66).  From Wikipedia:

The Encyclopædia Britannica notes that:

Oakley never failed to delight her audiences, and her feats of marksmanship were truly incredible. At 30 paces she could split a playing card held edge-on, she hit dimes tossed into the air, she shot cigarettes from her husband's lips, and, a playing card being thrown into the air, she riddled it before it touched the ground.

• Like 4

That is an awesome coin. My mind is simply a whirl with the possibilities. Love it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think these type of finds are cool.

I to found one here in Oz ,which i posted awhile back.

They are keepers and make excellent additions to the display cabinet.

Well done Steve.

IMG_6250.JPG

• Like 2

Neat find Steve.  I have a couple "dead" Injuns or Indian Head pennies for those unfamiliar with US coins.  One with a hole clean through and another with the .22 lead stuck in the center of the coin.

Tom

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Nice find Steve.

Shot by a sharpshooter? Lol

I have never shot a coin with a centerfire rifle, have done so with rimfire.

Rimfire  seems only punches into the coin, not make a hole..