Another Equinox 800 Pre-ordered...

Possum

On 11/29/2017 at 11:06 AM, Tyran said:

The Minelab rep. suggested I joined Steve's blog for an honest view of all detectors, not just Minelab's. After reading that Steve had sold several of his detectors to be replaced by the Equinox 800, I decided to trust his judgement and ordered mine. 

Thanks Tyran, and welcome to the forum!

I have been posting on forums on the internet since 1998 - twenty years now. That is a huge backhistory available to anyone that knows how Google works and who wants to research my history on posting about various brands and makes of detectors.

In the last twenty years I have talked about and helped people with all the brands and in general I have just been going from one new model to the next as they appear over the years. However, in every case it has always been about adding another detector to the existing collection or swapping one out. I have never had a new model show up before that made me decide I did not need half the number of detectors I have normally had over the years.

The big problem in going by my judgement or opinion is we each have our own needs and desires when it comes to detecting. And my goal in all this stuff is not to prove the Equinox is good by somehow taking a shot at other detectors people own. Is the Equinox "better" than a Deus? No. It is different than a Deus, that is all. Some people will continue to use and love the Deus and I am not trying to sway them otherwise. Or an MX Sport. Or an AT Max. Whatever.

There are in every case however clear differences. The Equinox offers some feature the others completely lack. In the case of the Deus, the Equinox is fully submersible out of box and the Deus is not. That makes for a clear, simple reason why a person might want one over the other. In the case of the AT Max, the Equinox offers multifrequency and the AT Max does not, making the Equinox a better choice for saltwater. Etc. Etc. These are the kinds of things that clearly define detectors and make choices easy in my opinion.

Those however who want ironclad proof that the Equinox detects deeper than "this machine" or has a faster recovery speed than "that machine" are probably not going to get much satisfaction from me. Trying to make those kinds of cases inevitably means trying to show one machine in a poor light as compared to another, and that in turn raises hell with everyone regarding tuning, soil types, techniques, or outright bias. There is not a single video on YouTube that I cannot protest in some way and argue about the results shown. I am going to leave it up to others to try and "prove" things.

All I can do is tell people I have been detecting 45 years, like to do it all, and have used a ton of detectors over the years. I have twenty years published record to show my bias or lack thereof. The vast majority of my posts are just trying to help people get answers. There are many very good detectors on the market. The Equinox wins for me in basically combining the most desired features I have wanted into a single machine at a great price and better yet in a lightweight package. The performance is going to be excellent across the board for nearly all uses. Will it outperform many top machines at many things. Yes. Will it outperform everything everywhere under all circumstances? Unlikely. It is after all a metal detector, not a magic wand.

At the end of the day I am burning up twenty years of accumulated reputation and going out on a limb on this one due to the absolute faith I have in the machine and the company behind it delivering a product that the vast majority of you will love. If I prove to be wrong my reputation will be toast and I will have mud all over my face and more. I will have proven the trolls right. These are things I take seriously and which I considered long and hard before deciding to get on board with this thing like I have. I am in fact being opportunistic in hitching my wagon up to what I see as a winning horse for a long and fun ride. :cool:

• Like 7

On 11/27/2017 at 6:45 PM, Redneck said:

Steve, Christmas is coming, you have to stop playing scrooge with that 800.  You need to share it with us , you know , send it to me for 30 days , then I will pass it on to another loyal member here.  You will get it back eventually!!  Tis the season for love and sharing you know. LOL.:wub:

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

At the end of the day I am burning up twenty years of accumulated reputation and going out on a limb on this one due to the absolute faith I have in the machine and the company behind it delivering a product that the vast majority of you will love. If I prove to be wrong my reputation will be toast and I will have mud all over my face and more. I will have proven the trolls right. These are things I take seriously and which I considered long and hard before deciding to get on board with this thing like I have. I am in fact being opportunistic in hitching my wagon up to what I see as a winning horse for a long and fun ride. :cool:

That'll never happen Steve, everyone of us has hung our hat's on something we believed in, an in my opinion I respect that man whether he's right or wrong over a man who straddles the fence!!! If you believe in something by George stand behind it 100%. If all goes well then you can pat yourself on the back, if it goes south, oh well, you didn't build it, but you stepped up and let people know you believed in it, so again pat yourself on ya back!!!

I'm just beginning to know you an I like a man who lay's it all out on the line and stands up for what he believes in.  Since I've joined this forum I've met some really good folks and learned a thing or two along the way.  Your past experience and honesty stands for who you are, and I'm betting hands down you've picked a winner this time, so let the haters be haters and lets keep on doing what we do best, share our combined knowledge, help each other when we can and keep our friendship going!!!

"D"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1