That is a great day for any of us west coasters at least those I know of and hunt with. I too rarely get silver beyond 6" or so. I found a 1917d last year about 4" down. My heart went a flutter for a moment. I have an equinox on order and paid for. I just hope we get to use it sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

That sounds really promising!!  I recently did another couple of videos featuring some heavy hitting VLF machines in my soil and figure it will get a rise out of the fanboys of each machine.  I am hunting soil that does the same thing as your description of the 6 inch ferrous transition.  In fact, that's almost exactly the depth of the Civil War bullets I dig on video, and all 3 detectors give that iron hit on different bullets in the field.  A detector with a good all metal mode can get them but the ID still stays iron. You have to use your ears and gauge the signal by circling it to make a decision on digging or not. Pulse machines get them with no problem...but pulse machines are not practical everywhere you go.

So like you say...an added inch or 2 is HUGE for a VLF machine to accurately ID something in dirt like that.  People that have never experienced it just don't understand.  The worse machine out of my latest video was the CTX 3030.  But that same machine on a wet sand beach can accurately detect a dime down to the 11-12 inch mark.  My scoop is a 12" basket and in some cases, it took me 4 big scoops to get a coin out.  But in my dirt back home...5 inches was actually the transition point for it.

• Like 2

I can't wait to see how the Equinox does for you Daniel. I think Minelab is well aware of where the CTX was weak and Equinox targets those weak areas. I sure was not having silver pop up with my CTX like I am with the Equinox which is why I no longer have the CTX. Even if performance were identical there is the 5.3 lbs versus 2.9 lb thing. At the end of the day it is working for me and the machine just clicks with me on multiple levels. I never did learn the fine details of the menu and options on the CTX. The Equinox is far more intuitive. I am not sure it ever has been mentioned but all the adjustments are "live" and changes in settings can be observed while swinging the coil.

I very much admit that I will be relieved at some point to not be the only person reporting. I have these nightmares where everyone gets an Equinox based at least partially on my posts and it bombs, and I end up looking like the biggest idiot in the world, or worse yet, some kind of mega-shill. Then I have to go into hiding on the internet and maybe move in case somebody wants to burn my house down! Kind of like performance anxiety except it is all about me really wanting the machine to perform as well for others as it does for me and worrying that for some crazy reason it won't. :ohmy:

But that would mean ignoring what I keep seeing with my own eyes :smile:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve, Your job is to report honestly, then let the chips fall where they may.   And I believe you are honest.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like there is possibly some hope that the Equinox MIGHT reopen sites. I was hoping for more depth from the next Minelab but maybe it will be its ability to unmask that is its secret bullet.  I should be able to tell pretty quickly if this is the case.  I know most of the old parks I hunt very well and there are 3 in particular that I have completely stoped hunting... A 6 hour hunt might produce one old coin.. Sometimes none.  These were parks that me and my friend pulled lots of very nice old coins, tokens and other goodies from.   My soil is also very tough and almost all single frequency detectors turn coins to ferrous signals at roughly 6+ inches. The difference between my soil and Steve and Daniels is that the CTX and E-Trac ARE able to reach 9 and occasionally 10” with bigger coils where the others can’t. My Friends V3i with big coil can get down there too, but not with the ID accuracy of the Minelabs.  We both will dig ANY non ferrous signal that is in the deep old coin zones...  

At this point I will actually just be happy if the Equinox is as good as FBS but in a faster, lighter package.. My tendons are messed up and the weight of the E-Trac is not helping.. 

Thanks for the peek into one of your Equinox hunts Steve..

Bryan

It worked.

Meaning I was teased. Lol

I have some 5 bars ground to try when I finally get one.

I don't envy you at all Steve! I've been in your position and know exactly how you feel. I had a small role with a couple of Whites detectors. You want to truly share something you think is exciting and as soon as you do, you have critics and hateful Richard Noggins ready to rip you apart like sharks.  I took it all to heart and still may or may not have some people at the top of my list for a butt kickin' if I ever meet them in person ;)   haha 

I am on the list for an Equinox. I notified my dealer the day they were announced. I'm ready for it for sure.  

• Like 1

Thanks Daniel - that made me laugh! :laugh:

All I want a detector to do is two things. 1. Make more finds for me more easily. 2. Do it as ergonomically as possible. When I say ergonomics I mean visual and audio interface as much as physical design.

That is what the Equinox is doing for me. Just imagine swinging a FBS machine that is as fast as a DEUS in the trash if not faster. Yet when you are in the open, throttle it back to slow speeds for more depth. Best of both worlds.

There is more to it though. Multi-IQ is actually new and by that I mean different. There is something going on there with target id I have not figured out yet. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. This detector really talks to me. I guess I really don't care after all what everyone else ends up thinking about the Equinox. All I know it that is what I am swinging from now on! Well, that and a GPZ :smile:

Steve,

Excellent posts, excellent information.  Impressive, what the Equinox is doing for you, in your soil.

My dirt must be VERY similar to Cabin Fever's.  In my dirt, most VLFs read a dime beyond 6" deep as iron, but in my case, like his, and UNLIKE yours and Daniel's, the Explorer/E-Trac/CTX can see a dime to 9" or 10" deep and ID it pretty accurately, with an 11" coil.  If the Equinox can do that, AND be the fast, very good unmasker I expect it to be, then I am going to be LOVING this machine...  :)  And the more I read of your posts, the more confident I am that it will do exactly this...

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By Tnsharpshooter
      https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/339677/EQUINOX SOFTWARE UPDATE A4 EN
      How To Rollback Equinox To Previous Software Version
      Minimum System requirements:
      USB 2.0 port
      EQUINOX USB Charging Cable with Magnetic Connector
      Windows 7, 8, 10
      50 MB of hard drive space
      20 MB of RAM
      MAC OS
      Greater than 10.10 Yosemite
      50 MB of hard drive space
      30 MB of RAM
      Note:
      Only one EQUINOX can be connected to the computer during an update operation. The EQUINOX must be ON during the software update. Any custom detector settings will be preserved while performing the update. An internet connection is required to download the Minelab Update Utility to the computer, however, an internet connection is not required to update the EQUINOX and this can be done offline. The EQUINOX coil must be connected to perform the update. Important: Do not turn off or disconnect the EQUINOX during the update process.
      Download the MINELAB Update Utility here.
      Click for larger images....

• By Againstmywill
      On the advice of others on this forum, I called Minelab today to inquire about the play I've had in the shaft on my Equinox since day one. When I called back in 2018, they wanted me to send the whole detector in to get looked at. This time they said they would send the three pieces my way, and I just need to send the originals back to them. Has that been your experience for those in the same situation? 
    • By Ridge Runner
      As said I like both the Sport and the Nox face . The great thing about them as you hunt you can really look at the face of each and know what you have notched out . What makes the Nox even better over the Sport is you can notch out one number at a time .
       Oh I know the Nox has so many fine qualities over the Sport it will never have but like the Nox it has a pretty face .
       I don’t know why but a pretty face always tugs at my heart strings and a detector is no different.
       Chuck

White's MX Sport Display and Controls

Minelab Equinox Display & Controls
    • By Luv863
      I replaced the end plug on my Nox and thought others might like the idea. I don't know if anyone else has done this before but I replaced the plug with a bicycle handle bar plug. This was done purely for cosmetic purposes as the plastic end plug it had did its job just fine. These are the ones I went with https://www.amazon.com/PRO-Bicycle-Handlebar-Plugs-Black/dp/B00JATNUGS/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pro+bar+end+plugs&qid=1567359452&s=gateway&sr=8-4 . Just a simple plastic compression plug with a nice aluminum cap. They came with black coated steel screws though so I'll replace them with stainless ones when I get the chance.
      There are other brands, styles, and colors of these types of plugs but just make sure to get the right dimensions to fit inside the shaft and not interfere with the arm cuff screw. Many of the listings don't specify the dimensions of the plug. The ones I got have an OD of 23.5mm (the smallest I could find) and my shaft OD is 22.2mm so there's a tiny bit of overhang but my arm cuff is all the way to the rear so it didn't bother me. The only thing I had to do to make them fit was trim about 1/2 in. off the end of the screw to keep it from hitting the arm cuff inside the shaft and I also used some blue loctite to ensure the screw doesn't back out.

• By phrunt
      I have a very early Equinox, after buying the 15x12" coil mine rapidly developed the dreaded shaft wobble, the bottom cam lock just wouldn't tighten enough to stop the shaft wobbling and swinging the big coil really made it obvious, then going back to the little 6" and the problem went away.  I contacted Minelab about it and they were great and sent me out a new shaft pronto which was nice. 

They used international express from OZ so it arrived within a few days.
      I then started paying attention to the aftermarket shafts and saw a few people were enjoying using various carbon fiber shafts so I thought i'd try one out.  I went with a Detect-ED shaft, the Classic 3k Twill
      It arrived today, the local courier was kind and delivered it on a Saturday for me seeing I know her, saved me waiting for Monday when it would normally arrive.
      I also purchased some of the Coil saver washers he's selling.
      The washers are interesting, two sizes that you mix and match to get your coil so you don't need to over tighten the bolt to help keep the coil in place nicely.  They seem to do as described, one red and one black on each side of my shaft seemed to do the trick, I can have my bolt just slightly turned and my coil is nice and tight but still moves when I want it to with ease like when I put my detector down.

4 Red's (thicker) and 4 blacks to mix and match with.
      The shaft is lighter, it's more noticeable with the big coil as anything to take a bit of weight off when swinging that thing is nice

You'll see I have a ferrite choke on my coil cable, not sure if it does anything but I've got plenty of them so why not 🙂
      It took about 5 minutes to put the Nox on the shaft and it came with the tool required to remove the control pod off the old shaft.
      The clip that lets you shrink/expand the shaft is nice quality, it's quick and easy to reduce the size of my Nox for transport now.
      So far I really like it, I can't see any negatives to the upgrade and my Nox now feels much higher quality, I really felt the stock shaft made the Nox feel cheap. I think it's far too good of a detector to run off that basic cheap junky shaft.
      I now just want to source a better quality arm cuff.