Metal Detecting With A Knee Replacement?

On 12/1/2017 at 12:23 PM, phoenix said:

OK, going off at a tangent, about 6 months ago I was put onto this stuff.  I`ve had bad knees, elbows and wrists for years and for me this stuff is a miracle cure.  I don`t think it`s a placebo thing because the first time I applied it I really didn`t think it would work.  You may notice it says not for human use but for horses and dogs only, and I don`t care. For the first time in 25 years I am pain free in my wrists. I put a mate onto it a month ago and he now uses it daily for his knees. The guy that put me onto it has been using it for 20 years for arthritic hands. One of our chemist chains over here even sells the stuff.  The funny thing is, they don`t sell anything else for horses or dogs. 
Try it or don`t try it. Completely up to you.  Dave
Sorry Steve if this is too off topic.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=rapigel&_sacat=0

Now that's interesting. Apparently the main ingredients are menthol and camphor -- which in the States are widely found in over-the-counter (i.e. no doctor's prescription required) arthritis medications. No idea why in Australia/elsewhere it would be specifically labelled for horse and dog use only. 

9 hours ago, hayesman76 said:

Now that's interesting. Apparently the main ingredients are menthol and camphor -- which in the States are widely found in over-the-counter (i.e. no doctor's prescription required) arthritis medications. No idea why in Australia/elsewhere it would be specifically labelled for horse and dog use only. 

I can only guess that to get it certified for Human use would cost a heap of dollars and apparently the stuff sells like hotcakes now without doing all sorts of clinical trials.   Again I say, try it or don`t try it, completely up to the individual.  Here is a article I found about the stuff before I first bought it. cheers
https://www.todaytonightadelaide.com.au/stories/horse-gel

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a knee replacement but I have had a complete hip replacement 2 years ago that involved putting a titanium rod down my femur (about 4-5 inches above my knee) and the only thing that goes off is my pinpointer when I put it back into my pocket after I forget to turn it off. My advice is if it hurts enough that it hinders your ability to get out and do what you want to do then get it done. 

The other fun thing about a hip/knee replacement is that you'll always get crotched grabbed by TSA. I'm flying tomorrow night to New York and my wife and I always laugh because we know what's coming. The least they could do is buy me a drink. 

• Haha 3

For what it’s worth I have a steel ball in my left shoulder and a pin going down in what was left of the bone in my arm. I don’t remember ever having any trouble with any detector including any GPX.

Now at any airport that is another story. I’ve been strip search so many times when they look at me I just start stripping my clothing off. After I crash my plane in 89 they say take it all off but now they say please stop.

Chuck

• Haha 1

?  yeh forgot about the airport drama I will have to go through. 

I'm heading bush on Thursday to try the detector and see if it is going to go ballistic on my knee. Fingers crossed.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

merry Christmas ? 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I’ve had my knee replacement surgery about 10yrs. ago and I haven’t had any problems with false signals. I’ve used a few different detectors and now I’m using an AT Gold. Everything seems to be fine. I have a titanium knee. Good luck everybody!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I am a very happy prospector. Recently I asked if anyone knew the effects of a knee replacement while detecting.

As mentioned, I recently had a full knee replacement and I was very concerned that my GPZ7000  would pick up the Titanium in the knee.

Well, I am currently at one of my favorite goldfields and came here to check for myself the effects that I might encounter.

I have been detecting for two days without a problem, I am over the moon. My fears were that I might have to sell my detector. Not only is there no interference, I have found three small nuggets.  Happy Happy.

The only thing I had to do was change the way I put the handful of dirt onto the coil to find the nugget/rubbish, bending too close to the coil, my knee would be picked up, but a few trials and now all is good.

So to anyone out there who is reluctant to have the knee operation due to their concerns of interference, I can tell you all, don't be concerned, all is ok.

Thanks to all who sent a post to me on this.

Merry Christmas to everyone ( i know Santa has already come to me) 

Outback

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Outback54 said:

My fears were that I might have to sell my detector.

Dang-nab it, I thought there may have been a cheap 19" coil up for sale :laugh:

Nice work old boy, very happy for you.  And good work on the nuggets too. 

Any size?  Any pics? 

Outback a question for you.

When you are bending to find the nugget which knee is closest to the coil?

I am in a situation where I will need to have both knees replaced (if I have it done at all). If you have your good knee closest to the coil, how about trying your new knee there as an experiment and let me know if you experience any issues.

Thanks, Mike