Metal Detecting With A Knee Replacement?

No, not talking about carrying around the patella of Jeff Williams’s buddy Slim while prospecting with a metal detector but, instead, the possibility of metal detecting after having had knee replacement surgery.

Probably due in part to excessive jogging and running before, during and after military service, I’m now the owner of a very arthritic knee and considering getting a knee replacement. Almost all such replacements use some type of metal as main components.

Just wondering if anyone reading this metal detects despite having a knee replacement. Does/would a metallic knee replacement make metal detecting impossible because the materials used in the replacement would constantly be giving false readings?

I checked for previous threads on this topic and, to my surprise, didn’t find anything, which is why I’m bringing the subject up now.

Since a lot of baby boomers, who probably comprise a large percentage of detectorists, may have/will eventually have knee problems I look forward to any insights they or anyone else can share!

• Like 1

I'm pretty much in the same boat and have held off for a couple of reasons. First off knee replacement is an iffy proposition they can be heaven sent or hell bent or anywhere in between. My brother (younger) had both knees replaced (bad knees run in the family) and has had great success, a friend has had one replaced (about 6 months ago) and has had nothing highly painful difficulty with it. He's an older person, 78 I think, has gone to therapy regularly as directed by his Dr and done everything else he was told to do and yet he moves around like he's 178. I probably should have had the replacements done years ago but I just can't get myself to do it because of possibly not being able to prospect and not being able to walk well afterword. Still on the fence.

Mike

I hear you. One of my cousins had a knee replacement and he says it’s one of the best things he’s done. He does go to the gym and does the recommended physical therapy. OTOH, a former colleague who had a knee replacement after retiring wasn’t so lucky and has had major problems with his — probably because (as I’ve been told) he didn’t do the required post-operation exercises/physical therapy.

I’ve seen mention of a plastic-based knee replacement and, assuming it contains no metals whatsoever (doubtful) it’d be a Godsend for metal detectorists with knee problems. I’ll see if I can find any more info about that variety of replacement.

I know of a very successful prospector in OZ here that had such a knee replacement, once on the mend he had no choice but give up his GPZ 7000 and return to using a PI with a smaller coil, only one thing will stop him prospecting I suspect.

My same conscerns applied to my choice to operate.  I had a partial knee replacement several years ago, and no sensitivity issues discovered with my ZED.  After being warned about metal eyelets on my shoes affecting the then new GPZ 7000 on sweeps, I was similarly concerned about my knee doing such.  

I can only say that I can’t find any difference, EXCEPT having to kneel down while digging those tunnels to China on deep targets.  I’d waited too long, IMHO, to have the knee operated on, and believe the lower leg muscles attrified a bit by my ‘favoring’ them.  It’s getting better, but still not a fan of the deep targets - EXCEPT, they usually produce AU.

That said, traveling through TSA security check points at airports, usually means hand-wanding and a ‘feel-up’ job to clear security. :blink:

OK, going off at a tangent, about 6 months ago I was put onto this stuff.  I`ve had bad knees, elbows and wrists for years and for me this stuff is a miracle cure.  I don`t think it`s a placebo thing because the first time I applied it I really didn`t think it would work.  You may notice it says not for human use but for horses and dogs only, and I don`t care. For the first time in 25 years I am pain free in my wrists. I put a mate onto it a month ago and he now uses it daily for his knees. The guy that put me onto it has been using it for 20 years for arthritic hands. One of our chemist chains over here even sells the stuff.  The funny thing is, they don`t sell anything else for horses or dogs. 
Try it or don`t try it. Completely up to you.  Dave
Sorry Steve if this is too off topic.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=rapigel&_sacat=0

• Like 1

I have just had a full knee replacement and very concerned about the effect using my Z. I'm still on the recovery road only a month since surgery. I'm heading out in about 2weeks, fingers crossed. I will inform you how things go. There might be a cheap Z up for sale :sad:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Outback54 said:

I have just had a full knee replacement and very concerned about the effect using my Z. I'm still on the recovery road only a month since surgery. I'm heading out in about 2weeks, fingers crossed. I will inform you how things go. There might be a cheap Z up for sale :sad:

Hopefully not. Heal up well and fast!

• Like 1

I'm just 8 months into complete knee replacement, did some detecting with G.B.2 and pin pointer Garrett Pro-Pointer AT and had no problems, I do recommend a very good pair of knee pads and frozen gel packs for when you get finished for the day !!

• Like 1