Equinox & Salt Water

Why wouldnt they develop a platform on this tech Nuke?   And i agree...... something is going to go away.  That was the same reasoning they had for the Exp and Sovs demise...... both excellent detectors.  Im certainly not questing its ability as a water machine..... i was impressed with the coin video.... and have been told its an excellent wet sand machine.....not a lot changes in the water from the oat meal except solidity of the salt maybe.   Im not a nay sayer at all ........ i see this as a good replacement for anyone using an Xcal in disc mode.  It wont swing like a 2X4 (CTX)..... faster with sweep speed setting, Notch disc,  maybe more sensitivity to smaller gold .... we dont know that yet..... but definitely a total beach machine with some real potential for small gold in the dry sand. .....and i just cant get over the price difference from the CTX...... wow.  

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

Why wouldnt they develop a platform on this tech Nuke?   And i agree...... something is going to go away.  That was the same reasoning they had for the Exp and Sovs demise...... both excellent detectors.  Im certainly not questing its ability as a water machine..... i was impressed with the coin video.... and have been told its an excellent wet sand machine.....not a lot changes in the water from the oat meal except solidity of the salt maybe.   Im not a nay sayer at all ........ i see this as a good replacement for anyone using an Xcal in disc mode.  It wont swing like a 2X4 (CTX)..... faster with sweep speed setting, Notch disc,  maybe more sensitivity to smaller gold .... we dont know that yet..... but definitely a total beach machine with some real potential for small gold in the dry sand. .....and i just cant get over the price difference from the CTX...... wow.  

I never said they wouldn't . the next will replace the ET and CTX.

On 12/31/2017 at 12:18 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The Go-Find was never built for nor intended for experienced detectorists. It is an entry level detector marketed to children or parents of children. I would be worried about you if you were impressed by it! :wink: Here is the intended audience:

That said I doubt Minelab made much if any money on the first generation Go-Find. It is more like they bought a learning experience, and are now making adjustments in the generation 2 models.

What will the generation 2 Equinox be like?

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I never considered the CTX a replacement for anything BBS. I can have 5 targets out of the ground for every 1 on a CTX. The thing is a boat anchor. I am 6'4  and cannot put one to the ground without stooping over and the weight/coil size cuts the working time down on the beast. When I first put one in my hand I thought it was some kind of cruel joke. So my ears will be open to the first detector that MIGHT replace BBS  [on the salt beach].  Dave

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

What will the generation 2 Equinox be like?

A more compact version that could fit nicely in luggage or a backpack.  Collapsible carbon fiber stock similar to but stronger than GoFinds design. Replaceable search coils. This is what it could look like...

EquinoxGo2.png

I would prefer the EQX would collapse  smaller. Have the middle rod slide into the handle shaft, that could shrink down the length another foot or so.   The center rod  appears to just attach to the rear shaft, just in front of the handle.  Also make the handle/ battery pod adjustable, so you can set  the handle to any angle. That would make it comfortable for every user.  

I have a Quest 20 and that detector can be contracted down to 29"  without disassembling the shafts.  That really makes it convenient  for storage or baggage.

2 hours ago, tsunamiscott said:

A more compact version that could fit nicely in luggage or a backpack.  Collapsible carbon fiber stock similar to but stronger than GoFinds design. Replaceable search coils. This is what it could look like...

EquinoxGo2.png

Now that's more what NOX should look like!  While still nice the current design is kind of taking steps backwards, from a Company who pretty much brought us coil wires within the shaft.  ML must have handfuls just dealing with new NOX technology and wonder who's in their Ergonomics Dept.?  ML says they listen to user feedback and this while having nothing to do with saltwater, would be a great time for ML to listen.  Perhaps ML is working on Wireless coils for the next NOX?  But just imagine a folding NOX in your backpack which only takes seconds to unfold-  I would pay more for the design!  

For years I've been asking ML for a similar to the folding Go-Find design waterproof BBS for ease of travel/packing/use.  I guess there are just not enough water hunters to support such a design?  I sure hope ML does not give up on BBS! 

I suspect Pete Anderson will have a better straight shaft.   That again would displace to much water for me.   As far as the CTX having a short lower shaft...... you do know Pete has a travel shaft that is 4" longer?

21 hours ago, Nuke em said:

I never said they wouldn't . the next will replace the ET and CTX.

Nuke....... you are dreaming there.   the Safara and Xterra maybe...... but people like their ET/CTX hard to beat the smart screen and adjustment ability.  It could take a few years to even know how this plate form will do..... but this will be the building block.   Right now people still use a lot of the older machines....... why they have them and they are still highly capable.

13 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

I suspect Pete Anderson will have a better straight shaft.   That again would displace to much water for me.   As far as the CTX having a short lower shaft...... you do know Pete has a travel shaft that is 4" longer?

Exactly, I'm to the point (age) where 5-6 hours is about my limit for water hunting.  Overall the Equinox design looks pretty good as far as drag goes.  Of course a lot will depend on the stock coil design and how well it slices through the water.