Equinox & Salt Water

Personally, I'm happy there is a external speaker on the Equinox.  Occasionally I use the external speaker on my CTX when bench testing, or in the test garden, or for quick hunts, it comes in handy.

Multi-frequency Minelabs do well in wet salt conditions, and I'm sure the Equinox will have it's place next to my PI at the beach.  No worries here!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 2:13 AM, dewcon4414 said:

My apology for the PM instead of using the Forum.

No apology required! I just like everyone on the forum to get the benefit of answers to questions. I often will restate questions I get via PM or email into forum threads. Thanks for joining and thanks for the question!

1 hour ago, vfp7 said:

The question arises - will not the salt water corrode the contacts from quick charging?

(4 contacts on the photo)

Nox800b.jpg

As they appear to be gold contacts sealed in epoxy there should be no worries of corrosion in salt water.

Yeah, good question about the contacts. I wonder how long they will hold up in an abrasive environment? How thick is the gold coating? At least I have assumed they are gold but can't swear that's the case. It is a well protected locations so I can't see much abrasive action taking place there over time. I am sure there is a high confidence factor in the design but truthfully this is one of those things where only a few years of use will tell the real story. It's extremely low on my list of concerns personally.

There is a good post here about my perspective on various saltwater detectors. It is not quite what people might think.

As a water hunter Steve ..... its way up there on mine.   So i wonder why they didnt go with SS which they use on the Xcal?   Thats looks more like brass than gold.  Little tuffer than copper/gold.  Steve is there a cap that goes over it once its charged?   We have to use a rubber gasket on the Xcals ...... i assume for a reason?   Im also thinking about those cables coming out of the back.   Much like the coil cable coming up and being attached to the shaft........ if you attach it to high you get vibration on the cable that can lead to early coil failure.  But we cant guess until its been out there a bit.  

On 12/4/2017 at 2:35 AM, Tnsharpshooter said:

So Steve, even using single frequency, Equinox has no true all metal??

The Equinox should be true all metal . It has prospecting mode and that has to have it . The X.Terra has it too.

I also have it from another source that the Equinox works very well on the salt wet , i am unable to quote where from right now but will work well . Whether its as good as BBS or FBS is anybodies guess . Will see soon enough.

Though maybe Volcanic sand beaches might have issues , not being from those sorts of places i would not know.

I have info on another forum by someone important that says the machine is fine on wet sand and is stable . Cant give details but its enough for me to not worry as beach detecting is 90% + of my detecting .

http://www.minelabowners.com/forum/showthread.php?32358-Equinox-on-the-beach