Equinox, Lithium Batteries, & Air Travel

Pops

Thanks Steve! Just wondering how that would work for a carry on on an airplane, I don't trust check in with anything electronic plus from what I've read, lithium battery items aren't allowed in check in so want to make sure it's travel worthy.

I figured there would be headphones as well since bluetooth isn't an option for submersion. 

Thanks!

I built a CTX travel case about 6 months ago out of a Plano Bow case. I checked it on a flight to Minnesota and it worked flawless for my CTX. I had everything in it, pointer, digger, 2 coils, chargers and knee pads. I ended up selling the CTX because I kept getting lemons from Minelab and I couldn't see having that much money tied up into a fragile machine. Now i have this great Plano case...... 

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Batteries as component part of devices are allowed on aircraft - all those laptops and iPads, you know.

That's for carry-on only, right?  (No Lithium batteries allowed in cargo hold, I'm pretty sure.)

Speaking of airline-worthy cases, Sam's Club has a decent looking one for $40.  I think it's larger than the Pelican (9" X 14" X 22" outside dim's) I bought for $150 from Amazon which holds both my GB-Pro and TDI (except TDI bottom rod section) simultaneously.  The Pelican size is approved for carry-on; not sure about the Sam's Club one, though.

If detectors with Li-Ion batteries cannot travel by air then lots of Minelab GPX, CTX, and GPZ owners are all breaking the law. Luckily that is not the case. There appears to be confusion here about batteries installed in equipment versus spare batteries. Almost all limits apply to spare batteries. From https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

589B68A6-575F-4357-A03E-58A78FE60BCE.jpegF4D36414-EA70-48E4-A219-8ABB3E749FBD.jpeg

• Thanks 2

There is lots of confusion on the subject of air travel and batteries.  The TSA/FFA chart above is a good start for one to research before travel.  So many TSA agents and airline employees are confused.  I travel with a group of shallow water treasure hunters and for years  we have never had problems taking batteries.  But things seem different today... throw in the confusion and one could run into problems traveling with any batteries.  

I have always packed my detectors and spare batteries in checked luggage.  Since I travel with 2 or 3 machines, carry on has not been an option and fortunately for the most part my equipment has survived- other than some TSA/Customs agents go through your bag like a thief in the night!  The mess they make of my stuff makes me angry, as there is no excuse for not caring for the property of others!  

When our group has come into problems traveling is with spare detector batteries in carry on and specifically upon return flights.  Foreign security has gotten bent out of shape when they discover these odd batteries several times and to the point where some in my group almost missed their flights!  Yet on my last Caribbean trip, I had no choice but to place all my batteries in my carry on.  I did my research and wanted to follow battery rules and did not want to discover my batteries were confiscated from checked baggage upon my Island arrival.

Besides the FFA chart Steve posted, there are airline rules too.  Which brings more confusion because each airline has their own battery rules!  A few months back I flew Air Canada and was told "No batteries whatsoever were allowed in checked bags" on the first leg of my first flight out of Seattle ... but the size of my carry on bag was restricted and had to be checked at the gate, which meant I had to remove all batteries from my carry on and hand carry them onto the flight!  What a pain and when I went through Security in Seattle, they wanted to know why I was bringing so many batteries in my carry on?  I explained Air Canada rules/showed an email I received from the airline and was delayed as TSA actually tested all my detector batteries on some sort of device.  Not sure what it tested for but I was concerned for my batteries.

Seriously, I placed everything with batteries in my carry on, including flashlights, scales, loupe, diamond tester... all because Air Canada told me over the phone and email no batteries in checked luggage.  I used electrical tape to seal battery ends and packaged all batteries individually in bubble wrap bags.  I also secured a sign on my checked luggage: NO BATTERIES IN THIS BAG, in hopes TSA would not fish around much seeing my detectors.

At some point the FAA/TSA and airlines will get together on this battery stuff.  All we need are a few more batteries bursting in The Mile High Club and there will be more restrictions.  Regarding the Equinox with built in battery... for now TSA and airline staff will most likely not even have a clue a battery is in the machine.   But if at some point all batteries are restricted in checked bags, which I believe will happen, one will have to pack the Equinox as carry on.  Fortunately that looks possible with the Equinox design.  In my mind traveling with an Equinox should be easier all the way around.  Just remember to check with your airline for their battery rules.  This is long because I became frustrated spending hours on the phone with TSA and airline, trying to learn how to do the right and safe thing and thus relating here.  Funny...  On this last trip a few in my group just packed their batteries wherever with no problems whatsoever!  But at some point being clueless could result in confiscated batteries?    

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Mick93
      We do like Steve,  wife sold her nox 800 just before 3 years and ordered her new one. Showed up today and she was all excited ,put it together, charged up ready to try it out. Well the on/off switch wouldn't work!  She was a little disappointed but Minelab said send it in, so off it went !
    • By Jeff McClendon
      I have been suffering from plantar fasciitis and torn ligaments in my left ankle for about 6 months. The plantar fasciitis has cleared up on its own. The torn ligaments have not yet healed so hunting with a dig it all approach just hasn't been possible since last March. Walking is iffy enough, but lots of getting up and down is very painful. So, I have had to limit myself to shorter outings and lots of cherry picking.
      I tried an experiment using the F2 iron bias feature during my recovery for some of the parks I hunt that have high iron mineralization. I used Park 1 and Park 2 with F2=4 and just concentrated on obvious no brainer signals. Deep or shallow didn't concern me, just the quality of the response. I hunted with both zero discrimination and with half of the iron range rejected = -9 to -6. My target recovery of deeper low to mid conductive targets pretty much ceased to exist during this time.......deeper silver jewelry and coins along with any depth of higher conductive US modern coins (wheats, copper memorials, clad dimes and quarters, Kennedy halves and modern "gold" President and Sacajawea dollars) was seemingly not effected.
      Today, I hunted an exact area that I had hunted a month ago with those settings except that I hunted with F2=0 and dug every target that sounded good. I had already cleared out the higher conductive clad so none was found. I tested every low to mid conductor target from +6 to +22 (the gold and small silver jewelry range) that sounded decent using F2=0, and then switched to F2=4 and F2=9 before I dug the targets. All of these targets which were clear and obvious targets using F2=0 were beyond the range of my handheld FTP Tek Point pinpointer that was set on maximum which usually reaches coin sized targets down to 3.5 to 4" in this park. All of the targets in the photo except for the first two modern pull-tabs (bright silver and red surface finds) were recovered at deeper than 4". Some were as much as 8". They all sounded very good with repeatable signals in all four swing directions (+), and had dig me gold range numbers using F2=0. Using F2=4, all of these targets were iffy at best and the deeper ones sounded mostly like iron. Using F2=9, all of these targets were mostly iron with just a hint of low to mid conductor tones and corresponding numbers. 
      It is no wonder that I previously walked right over these targets since I had limited myself to digging only excellent sounding targets due to my injury. Even if I wasn't injured, I am not sure that I would have dug these using F2=4. No way using F2=9.
      Two of the nickels are fairly old for the Denver area, a 1949 and a 1960. Both were 8" deep and sounded very good using F2=0. The big stainless steel ring (+8) and the Avon gold plated junker (+14) were 6" deep and sounded fantastic with F2=0. The two .925 small silver jewelry items (+22) sounded great using F2=0 and were 5" deep.
      So, in higher iron mineralization, are my results an outlier or is using F2 iron bias above zero just too agressive on low and mid conductor non-ferrous targets? Comments, disagreements and Pooh Poohing are welcome.

• By Dan(NM)
      I hunt really trashy parks and hardly ever go after nickels because my time is limited.  I'm going to notch in 12-13 on my next hunt due to amount of wheats and silver I've been taking out of 2 places I've hit this past month. Have you found the Nox the hit nickels in this range at depth, I'm talking 7-9" depth, that's where most of the keepers are being found, thanks.
    • By nwdetectorist
      Blank Sheet for Recording Custom Settings for my Nox 800

OK, Ok; back in the day of my XLT Spectrum...
      ...I had a notebook full of custom settings for my records.

Now I can convert (scan and save as) to Word Document or Adobe Acrobat to save and carry with my Smart Phone.

Problem is, I cannot seem to find a sheet to copy online.
      I know I could create my own, but...

HELP!

Started a list to see if I have the settings in the right order.
      Does anyone have suggestions and/or corrections for the following list.
      OK; what order for the Equinox Settings Sheet???
      1. What preset program to start with
      2. How many tones; 2, 5, 50
      3. Ground balance setting and/or auto balance
      4. Setup accept/reject notches for your hunt site or hunt style
      5. Select Volume for each tone region
      6. Select Tone Pitch for each tone region
      7. Set tone break, preferably at 1
      8. Set recovery speed for conditions or accept default
      9. Run Noise Cancel
      10. etc. etc. etc.
      what am I forgetting
    • By Skookum
      I had something strange happen, today. I had my GPX 6000 battery fully charged and fresh off the charger.  It had completed its charge cycle and then trickle charged overnight.  I popped it in the detector and started detecting. Within five minutes the battery meter dropped from three bars to two bars.  If I turned off the detector and let it sit for a 5-10 minutes and then turned it back on, it would go back up to three bars for a short period of time before then going back to two bars. Has anyone else noticed this with theirs?
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Newbie here.  So I'm getting ready to train my customers at Rye Patch, NV and many will have their new GPX-6000's.  Here is my question for those of you who have learned.
      Yes I've seen the video with the gator clips to a 12V vehicle battery, but what they don't say is for how long does it typically take?  Will it run a battery down in the winter cold of NV?
      We'll be out there off the grid for 3 day and some of us much longer.  I'd like to get those have already figured out the timing and or a new way of charging the battery.
      Funny thing is my 1 Ton diesel can charge my GPZ-7000 and my Equinox 800 with no issues and even when the truck is turned off.  I just plug into the outlets provided inside the truck dash.  My 1/2 ton gas truck only charges when the truck is running and as soon as I turn it off, all chargers go off as well.
      Your help is needed so I can try and prepare my customers.
      This salty dog is still learning new tricks on the GPX-6000... with your help that is.
      Thanks in advance.