hayesman76

Ever Take A Magic Carpet Ride While Prospecting?

Now that I've got your attention ...

One interesting alternative I've seen to traditional walkin' 'n swingin' metal detecting is called the Hot Foot Rug. I'm sure many reading this have heard of it. Basically, from the looks of it it's a search coil apparently embedded into a flexible, rectangular carpet-like piece of material measuring from 18" to 6'. The carpet must, of course, be attached to a box, which the user can keep by their side or clip to a belt.  The carpet itself can either be attached to a harness and pulled while walking or dragged behind a vehicle, enabling detectorists to cover a lot more ground -- and with less walking required -- than traditional "stick" detecting. The only thing that makes me not even consider buying one is what I consider to be the excessively-high price (then again, in my opinion MOST metal detectors and search coils are way overpriced.) 

Especially when dragging the carpet behind a vehicle I would assume the user absolutely must use a good set of noise-canceling headphones.

I'm very surprised that the device mentioned above is about the only one of its type I've seen for sale. In my opinion -- and especially with so many detectorists being middle-aged and/or retired folks who aren't as mobile as they used to be -- you'd think there'd be quite a variety of such carpet-like search coils available.

Does anyone here prospect with such metal-detecting rugs? My main interest is in prospecting for large, deep nuggets and this technique -- especially with my bad knee -- really appeals to me, as the rug search coil can be several feet wide, which dwarfs even the largest traditional round/oval coils. Any feedback or information on such carpet-type detectors would be appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, tvanwho said:

Are you gonna drag a backhoe along with you?

No, I hear the new Minelab GPZ 7000+ comes with one. The whole setup only retails for $500k but you can get them a few dollars cheaper on eBay.

They are a variation on drag coils / tow coils. I bumped a recent thread on the subject to the top.

I won't comment on the blanket style coil since I have never used one personally. The fact the Aussies have not lined up to buy them is all I need to know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, long time lurker here,  havent had much input lately as I very seldom have the opportunity to prospect these days, but enjoy thall the articles and feedback from a really great forum. So , as for the magic carpet ride !, I wouldn’t give it a second thought. But what I did do when I was swinging my first detector was go big on the coil, a 20” DD on an 8klz ft 16000 ,now at the time i was recovering from a prolapsed disc operation ,so swinging a coil that big was pretty ambitious in fact as it turned out to ambitious as I just couldn’t do it . So what I did was I made a wheelbarrow. I used a child’s plastic rimmed front bicycle wheel and a greased wooden dowel as the axle . Basically a wheel barrow frame made of light wood such as pine with out the tub, suspended the coil behind the wheel facing forward and Bobs you’re uncle, worked a treat’. When you hear a target just rock back and forth to pinpoint, obviously you would have to make the frame of the barrow to suit your height and arm length. If I could get my hands on a SD2000 and had the time ......

• Like 2

I've seen them used for hunting meteorites. The guy had to stop digging and bring in a backhoe. A target he was digging turned out to be a basketball sized meteorite.  This was on open ground in Nebraska. Western Australia would be perfect for that if you had a tow behind excavator for your quad.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mop
      A Minelab dealer down Geelong way put up the below post about an Aussie company starting to make GPZ coils.
      Interesting timing, wonder if the Russian guys have forced Minelabs hand to allow a local 3rd party to make coils.
      Here is the link to the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/luckystrikegold/
      Not looking to start a shit fight here, just sharing info. I don't care what coils everyone wants to run lol
      Lucky Strike Gold
        Brand new GPZ coil coming soon! 🤩
      There is a rumour in the wind that an Australian company will soon be making GPZ 7000 coils.
      At present there are only Russian made after market coils being made, so hold off and bag yourself a genuine Aussie made one. They will be cheaper than the Russian coils and, as always, very well made.

• By mn90403
      We've spent a lot of time here lately on whether to X or whether to CoilTek. 
      We don't know if we should Z or Q. 
      We have so many choices we don't know what to do.
      Make life simple and get the app:
      This might be easier.  Forget the coils and forget the manufacturer.  😁
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamma.metaldetector&hl=en_US
    • By uncle Scrooge
      The black stone is pure magnetite. The purpose of this prototype is discrimination that can indicates very deep targets such as for digging . So far all very deep targets were missed , as well as non-magnetic targets are indicated by discrimination like magnetic (iron ) . The prototype was tested on sand of pure magnetite and can be used to search for golden nuggets , while at the same time rejects the shallow iron objects . In tests on different soils shows very low soil noises , and almost complete absence of false signals . There is a video with the same prototype in youtube , from October 2018 .
    • By Jasonj
      I’ve been hunting a good site using the Deus and Equinox which has nails and small iron mixed in with good targets, some good targets being deep, but near or in the iron. My question is, will a GPX with Iron Discrimination turned up and the smallest DD coil pull out the deeper, non-ferrous items amongst heavy iron? Has anyone had any experience with this? I think for shallow targets the Equinox or Deus works better for shallow targets in this “machine gun iron”, but would like to see what others may have insight on for using the GPX. I’m assuming the fast setting and special soil timing may need to be adjusted as well. Thank you in advance.
    • By strick
      Something I've been wanting to do for a while now..I got another x ray  generator couple weeks ago and wanted to try it out on my DR System.. Heres most but not all of the coils I have. 
      1. CTX 6"
      2. TDI Pro 12" double mono 
      3. CTX 17' 
      4. XP Deus 9" 
      5. Miner John 8x12" mono
      6. x cal 8" 
      7. Gold Monster 6" 
      8. Fisher Gold Bug two  6" 
      9. Nox 6" 
      10. Nox 11" 
      11-14 GPZ 7000 stock coil 

• By Skookum
      Good evening,
      I’m venturing into the spotlight here with my first post to ask what likely amounts to a novice’s question.  
      It stems from an experience I had about a year ago with finding my largest nugget. The location was in a small creek bed, which had been conveniently cleared of cobbles and overburden down to a small patch of bedrock surrounded by smooth, silty clay by a dredger.
      Using a GM 1000, I had detected out several small nuggets from within the bedrock cracks that had been exposed, but not properly crevassed by the prior prospector.  However, the thick clay surrounding the exposed bedrock had pockets of varying degrees of moisture.
      This was providing me a bit of challenge since the wetter spots seemed to be behaving just like hot spots. After an extended wrestling match with the wetter signals and the available settings, I gave up.  
      However, by the time the next weekend came around, I just couldn’t get those wet spots out of my mind.  With the heat of the summer and record drought conditions, I guessed those spots may have dried just enough to deserve one final pass.
      Within minutes of returning, I had found a solid, repeatable, 2 bar non-ferrous signal in the deepest clay pocket on the upstream side of the rock. (This exact spot had seemed masked the week before.)  Digging 4-5 inches down into the smooth clay I found a “rock” that made my detector sing.  Cleaning it off revealed a beautiful 1/3 ozt. nugget. Call it beginner’s luck—because I do. 
      Now for my question. Were those wet spots of clay giving me fits because of greater relative mineralization, heterogeneity of moisture, or VLF technology?  Perhaps it was some of each?  
      Part of my curiosity stems from never having used a PI detector.  For those of you with plenty of PI experience, do you also struggle with wet spots or mud spots for lack of a better term?  And, if so, are certain PI detectors more resistant to the struggle?
      Thanks for any input you might spare.