Minelab SDC 2300 Warranty Issue

The folks Downunder are busy with the SDC-2300. Keep up with it here

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t20312-coil-size-used-on-gpx-before-the-2300-cleaned-up-old-patches#193870

For my part, I have a call in to ML in Chicago. Mine is falsing over green plants and there is the small matter of gross stupidity - MINE.

REMEMBER MY BRILLIANT IDEA ABOUT PROTECTING THE BOTTOM WITH gorilla Tape.

Worked great - when I peeled it off, off came the clever anti-counterfiet sticker on the bottom. After spending 20 minutes seperating it from the tape - I stuck ot back on. Hurray, except now - through the magic of holograms or something - it reads VOID - about ten times. Guess the FBI will be knocking soon!!!

The idea is that if you remove the sticker you may have opened the case, which voids your warranty. Which means putting the sticker on the bottom of the box where it gets grated off by rocks was not one of Minelabs better ideas. On top under that little bar the handle assembly slides on would have been better.

Whole machine, send in everything, unit, headphones, batteries, charger - and get a new complete boxed unit. Seems the issue is known. John in Customer service (who is very thourough by the way) said it was a known issue affecting a small number of units. Guess they want to "capture" them.

Yeah, the sticker is in a bad spot, but one of the issues detector makers have had with phony detectors is that the outside is where the mark is showing the detector is legitimate. The phony detector sellers will take the real guts out of a detector and put it in a fake. Then put the fake gut in the real detector. They then sell the body of the real detector, which still is marked with stickers showing it is real, and they can claim its a factory certified real detector, because the stickers on the outside say it is. Unfortunately the inside is no good and the buyer loses out. That is why the sticker straddles the two haves and says void if disturbed. Steve is right that it would have been much better on top.

Still the whole pain of this exists because some Chinese thieves make products for the intent of committing fraud against others.

I was all set to use my incredibly well developed "being nice on the phone" skills - and didn't have to. Props to Minelab, I barely said the words falsing and greenstuff before i was told to send it in for exchange. I also give full credence to John at ML's statement that relatively few units were affected.

I did try to get an account number so they would pay for the shipping, but was told was basically only done with true DOA units. Fair enough.

If it was happening to lots of people lots of people would be reporting it. Look how fast people are willing to jump on the F75. The most common comment on the SDC 2300 is how resistant the coil is to false signals. Seriously though, kudos to Minelab for an outright replacement. When a detector costs that much it is usually cheaper to fix than replace.

Now that I think about it maybe my coil was falsing a lot after all.........

So far, so good. ML got my machine Monday afternoon and shipped a replacement (I hope) this morning.

Just for the record, my problem was a SOLID target signal when brushing any green growing stuff. Dried up,plant material didn't do it.