Cal_Cobra

Bucket Lister!! Less Than 100 Known!! $5 Gold Half Eagle Dug!!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's a find of a lifetime; a true rarity with an estimate of 80 in existance.

Presumably you'll get it graded by one of the official grading services, but to me this looks like XF-40 or XF-45.  These don't come up for auction much in any condition.  I think I'm going super-conservative valuing it at over $3k.  (Hope this grades and values out higher than I've done -- I'm no expert.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dsrtdwg1 said:

Congrats on the fantastic find, beautiful coin.

Thank you!!

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's a find of a lifetime; a true rarity with an estimate of 80 in existance.

Presumably you'll get it graded by one of the official grading services, but to me this looks like XF-40 or XF-45.  These don't come up for auction much in any condition.  I think I'm going super-conservative valuing it at over $3k.  (Hope this grades and values out higher than I've done -- I'm no expert.)

Thank you, it was a surreal moment seeing that gold disc flash by in the dirt, and it didn't really sink in as to what I'd dug until I saw the golden reeded edge.

I will likely have it slabbed, not that I'd ever sell it unless I had to, but just for posterity and to really know what it grades out to as I'm not a coin expert. 

Incredible find no doubt!  Congratulations!

• Like 1

Stunning find of a lifetime, wow!

• Like 1

Mate congratulations. :ohmy:  What a fantastic find  :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, hope you all get your coil over one, it's something you'll never forget :smile:

Brian

Congratulations on your first gold coin.  That it is a rare one makes it that more exciting for you I am sure. :ohmy:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Western & Eastern Treasures magazine does a Silver & Gold Annual issue and another customer of mine was featured. Many of you saw the photos posted earlier this summer. Some gobstopper saves/discoveries are in this issue, so I recommend you order one online. Congratulations to Duane and Sarah on their Golden Treasures and thanks for allowing me to earn your detector business again.

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Finished work early today & had a few hours daylight up my sleeve so I headed out for a detect. I went back to the same spot that I got my last one piece from. I had unfinished business there. I was getting plenty of signals but none were gold. So I headed right to the spot where I got my last bit from, which was here in that bedrock crevice. 
      Notice the dead briar rose bush at the top left. Well I thought I got a very faint signal between that & that exposed bedrock, which has been ground smooth from glacial ice grinding over it many moons ago. Probably the same time as the gold was deposited.
      So I started to dig between that dead bush & the schist bedrock. The signal improved.
      But I needed to hack out that bush.
      Done & deepen the hole. Signal still in there. I was now breaking into & hacking out the schist bedrock. Has to be gold now.

Suddenly the signal was out &........
      Gold it was .52 of a gram
      I don't know how I missed that last time. I detected that area very slowly & carefully, same settings but for what ever reason I didn't get it before. But snagged it this time. It was the only one. So after a couple of hours of very careful detecting I moved on.
      Here is a pic of an old timers tailings race that they had hacked out of the schist bedrock. Now choked with briar rose bushes. This area in general is a glacially deposited boulder field. Some big suckers too.
      I moved off to another tailing race & exposed bedrock area & snagged a small piece of gold on the sidewall of a tailing race. I have hammered this area so was surprised to have got that one. I moved on to some deepish glacial gravels that the old timers had not sluiced away. got a few hot rock signals in these which sucked me in as they sounded good. But you have to investigate them. Here was one such dig. The two rocks at the top edge of the hole were hot rocks out of the hole, but there was still another signal in there. Could be yet another hot rock.
      But it wasn't.
      Ye Ha
      Had I of walked away from not only the first hot rock but even the 2nd I wouldn't have got that third signal in the same hole that turned into a piece of gold. Who said the Zed wasn't a magic wand.
      So there I had Huey, Duey & Louie.

Ended the golden day on a beautiful golden sunset. Time to walk on out & back to my wagon.
       Three for 1.18 grams
      Mrs JW has gone up north to visit family. So while she was away I pimped her ride. She doesn't know yet but she will he rapt. I E - biked her Mountain bike. So she can carry a detector up into the hills now too.  
      Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By Jonathan Porter
      Found this past weekend with the GPZ 19 coil at 2 measured feet.
      JP

20 grams 

• By CliveHamy
      My first Roman Silver found with the NOX, Field2. VDI 14/15, default settings 8 inches down, 4 units on the depth gauge. Lovely tone
      Believed to be a Silver Denarius by Septimus Severus AD209, This side Minerva, the other side the head of one of his Sons either Geta or Caracalla, commemorating the victories achieved by the Romans led by Severus and Caracalla in Scotland AD209 -10. 

• By Chris Ben
      Got out with my buddy Dave today to do some detecting. We had the plan to try a new area, and if that didn't pan out we would go back to the area I had had some luck the last 2 outings. 
      We struck out in the new area, and headed to the old one. I went out trying to expand on the new patch...no luck. Dave hung around the area where I found the patch 2 weeks ago. I started exploring a bit looking for good ground when Dave radioed me that he had found a couple nice nuggets.  I made a beeline to meet up with him, still working my GPZ when I hit a great mellow signal. Turned out to be a 2+ gram nugget and the start of a 5 nugget patch. Biggest being 3g. We had lunch a made another run for no luck, but a great day nonetheless. 
      My nuggets 6.4 grams

Dave's score, with a nice big nugget.  
      Chris 
    • By Tometusns
      I got to hit a yard for a little while this morning. Yep, I'm going back. 😁