Bucket Lister!! Less Than 100 Known!! $5 Gold Half Eagle Dug!!

3 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Brian

Congratulations on your first gold coin.  That it is a rare one makes it that more exciting for you I am sure. :ohmy:

I'll probably never sell it, but it does make it more fun when you find a rare one.  This old site has produced a few rare coins, same place I dug my rare 1860-S Seated quarter and an 1837 British silver one shilling coin from. 

Thanks and HH,
Brian

I missed seeing what detector you found this with?  Could you remind me?

This is worthy of an article in one of the  hardcopy magazines such as Western and Eastern Treasures or Lost Treasure.  It also would likely be highlighted by the detector manufacturer in their newsletters, webpages, etc.  It could even make the mainstream media.  That's just how impressive this find is, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I missed seeing what detector you found this with?  Could you remind me?

This is worthy of an article in one of the  hardcopy magazines such as Western and Eastern Treasures or Lost Treasure.  It also would likely be highlighted by the detector manufacturer in their newsletters, webpages, etc.  It could even make the mainstream media.  That's just how impressive this find is, IMO.

Thanks, appreciate the positive sentiments!

I was using the Nokta Impact, running @ 20kHz, Di3 mode (my preferred relic hunting mode) with the factory 11" DD. 

• Like 1

Nice to see you posting on this forum...Get Tom over here now.......after all whats just one more little itty bitty forum :biggrin:

strick

• Like 1

Nice coin!  I'm sure there are more there. You will find them next season!

Not to take away from your great find but I did dig one of those 1858S half eagles that you referenced. I know how you felt when that came out.....   Congrats again on your great find!

do we all do this or what??

IMG_0876.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LipCa said:

Nice coin!  I'm sure there are more there. You will find them next season!

Not to take away from your great find but I did dig one of those 1858S half eagles that you referenced. I know how you felt when that came out.....   Congrats again on your great find!

do we all do this or what??

IMG_0876.jpg

She's a beauty!  How'd she clean up?

HH,
Brian

2 hours ago, strick said:

Nice to see you posting on this forum...Get Tom over here now.......after all whats just one more little itty bitty forum :biggrin:

strick

I'm shocked he's not here already, he's on forums I didn't even know existed - lol

20 hours ago, LipCa said:

Not to take away from your great find but I did dig one of those 1858S half eagles that you referenced.   (cut some text) Do we all do this or what??

Maybe every detectorist in California.  Got any room in that state for one more?

The 1858-S is almost twice as rare according to its estimate of 45 in existance.  (Do they know about yours??)  Coins this rare just don't 'appear' often.  For comparison sake note that the very desirable/coveted 1916-D Mercury Dime has an estimated survival of 10,000.  Understandably most of those are in the lower grades.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/4906

You guys are to be envied (and I'm doing that right now)!

• Like 1