Beach Detecting With A Gpx4500

Jin

I did sort of enjoy my self. The beach was absolutely magnificent. Just digging 3-foot holes when your so weak from not eating enough was why I gave up so quickly. Plus i felt i was wasting my time because of not being able to discriminate properly with the GPX. Also, i would imagine if your digging 3-foot holes in the sand then a shovel would be better. My small size pick didn't really scrape out much so it felt like I was digging forever. I managed to find a thin strand of wire at reasonable depth so I was pretty happy knowing that I wouldn't miss much if it was there.

As we try to get away with the caravan every 4 weeks I'm going to be alternating between the beach and gold-bearing country so ill have another crack at beach detecting another day. I would have loved to detect around the swings/toilet block and bbq area there but didn't bother because of EMI. I'm guessing the equinox would be good for that. Something I haven't done yet is actually read any of the forum posts about beach detecting so know very little about it. Time to read up I guess.

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

• Like 2

Jin,

Nice pictures but we should have given you another clue to finding good stuff on the beach.

Look for big parking lots!

Mitchel

• Like 2

Look for stairstep type cuts in the wet sand, smooth sand for miles is not good beach detecting, usually. Don't waste your time close to the water unless you have a shovel or h-d sand scoop...and check the areas where the sand and plants meet-that is where the lovers and hookers go for fun and privacy....

put your machine on full discriminate and stop chasing anything past two feet---unless you want to dig iron chests full of treasure-haha

fred

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Look for stairstep type cuts in the wet sand, smooth sand for miles is not good beach detecting, usually. Don't waste your time close to the water unless you have a shovel or h-d sand scoop...and check the areas where the sand and plants meet-that is where the lovers and hookers go for fun and privacy....

put your machine on full discriminate and stop chasing anything past two feet---unless you want to dig iron chests full of treasure-haha

fred

Fred has been to these places many times on the beach.  Many of them long before he had a detector!  :ph34r::wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We use our 5000 with the 14" Nugget Finder mono coil 90% of the time on the beach . Always Salt Gold and if EMI is uncontrollable it is then I go to a DD . I could not dig the deep holes and detect as it would be way too hard  . Thankfully my hubby does the long handled shovelling . A fair bit of the time  depending on the depth of the target even the mono coil does make different noises on different targets . It picks up  chains with ease. The soft sweet noises are usually a gold item . We detect the beach Atleast fortnightly and quite often weekly. Most of our better targets are 1/3 of the way up the beach from  the low tide . 

• Like 5

Jin not that I`ve done a lot of beach detecting but you`ll get your best results where a lot of people go and throw their towel on the sand and lay there and then go up to the shop next to the carpark and buy a ice cream.  Desolate beaches that not many go to, I never did any good.

And rather than using a pick, get yourself a sand scoop. Here is a couple I made years ago out of truck exhaust heat shield. They worked fine for digging and sieving. As you can see because of the cobwebs, they haven`t been used for many years. Have a good one.

SDC13774.jpg

• Like 1