Go Detect Phone App

Skate

Anyone use this? I've read mixed reports on it in terms of android/apple and that it is out and being used and that it's currently not available for use. This would be a huge assist/help to me in hunting the areas I currently have permission for. I never quite figured out the GPS on my CTX and am hopeful my iphone can be integrated into my detecting. 

Never thought about cell service being an issue. I have roughly 100 acres to hunt on two sites that used to be farm housing communities from the early 1900's until roughly 1980's. Now they're huge corporate nurseries so I've been trying to use Google Earth, Historic Aerials to try and zero in on targets. 

Hi Skate,

I downloaded it to try it but it was unfinished and never worked. Now it appears to have been withdrawn from the market.

Do you still have the CTX? I might be able to help you with running the GPS system on it.

I have personally been trying to find a decent phone tracking app and while there are many good ones, like MotionX, none seem to let me zoom in close enough for detailed ground mapping.

Thanks Steve,

I traded in my CTX due to it's fragile nature (for me) and got the Deus. The GPS phone app was one of the selling points so I hope they reintroduce it soon. I'd pay for a good app at this point as it could save me a ton of time in locating the streets and home locations. Hopefully someone with the skills will create one as I'm sure they'd make a little coin from the MD community. 

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW: I use the android app Detect o Trak to GPS track my progress around a site, record finds, and take finds pics.  Great little app.  I also use OnX hunts which also has tracking but no current way to document finds with pictures though you can document waypoints for designated finds (taking pictures of finds as waypoints was a feature lost as of a recent upgrade and will eventually make its way back in and is the reason I moved to Detect or Track).  I still retain OnX hunts because it shows individual private and public property lines including landowner information from the county records.  I find this to be invaluable.  It is costly, though, as you need a yearly subscription to obtain this information on the app (but it is available for all properties 50 US states if you do buy the subscription.

• Like 2

Thanks for the ideas Chase. In a completely unrelated move I had begun looking up Detect to Track and all I got was stuff on spyware on my iphone. All I read was how I was probably hacked and being tracked by hackers. After reading all of it I felt like I had to sleep with my light on. :biggrin:

The OnX sounds like a winner and you would think all of the detector companies would have some sort of App for their higher end units for GPS and finds with a pic as a way to marry you the consumer to their product. Nearly everyone has a smart phone nowadays and it can't be all that expensive to make a go of it. 

• Like 1

Agree, seems to be an area largely ignored by the detector manufacturers.  I have a theory that since companies like XP and Minelab likely have a team of talented software engineers they THINK can also double as app developers but from what I have seen both the XP and Minelab smart phone app offerings have flopped.  Regarding Detect o Trak, there was some issue by app originator (who is not the coder) regarding iphone compatibility (it was initially android only because that is what the guy who wanted the app used).  So I don't know much about the iphone version but, yeah, it possibly could have been hacked so I would def not use it you have concerns.  I do not have the same issue with the android version and I am running security apps galore on my phone. 

Hoping OnX adds photo waypoints back in soon.  To their credit, I complained about the feature being removed from the major update and as a subscription user felt that I would have to reconsider renewing my subscription if the feature was not restored.  Although they did not have a timeline for when they would have the feature ready, they renewed my subscription gratis for an additional year to give them a chance to get it rolled out before I bailed.  I have to give them props for that level of Customer service and retaining loyalty.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

seems like the go detect phone app is on its way back. the ferret metal detecting on utube is showing it in beta testing. if i can post the link i will.