Screen Protector Use Underwater?

TedinVT

Is it possible for saltwater, or any water, or beach sand to get between the screen protector and the display when the Equinox is used submerged?

One of the coolest features of the Equinox is it comes with screen protectors right out of the box. The very first thing I like to do with any new detector is apply a screen protector. Yet that usually means cutting one to fit, and it is easy to not get around to it. And then later regret it did not happen. No worries about that now, and better yet, the screen protectors act as language labels for the settings icons that honestly make no sense to new detector users. Great idea!

Anyway, I have used the CTX 3030 underwater for many days of operation and never had an issue with water intruding between my screen protector and the screen. I doubt that would be a problem unless something really unusual occurred.

minelab-equinox-screen-saver-protector-english-3011-0379.jpg

minelab-equinox-screen-protector-applied.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the reassurance on the screen saver, Steve.  Looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the CTX as well and have had no issues either with my screen protector.   Ill tell you where i have the the biggest issue hunting with a TID screen in the water...... its the dang scoop.   Ive been so used to using the Xcals and i rarely let go of my machine when checking the basket.  Im pretty good at getting most of the material out of the scoop before it breaks water...... but its still heavy.   Out of the water i had a tendancey to move the scoop over the detector and look inside........ cant tell you how many times i banged the screen or side of the box........ i have nicks as reminders.   Now i let go of the handle and catch the side of the scoop ...... BEFORE i bang it.   Every thing takes training.   I think it will be another learning curve NOT to bang the cable going from the box to the shaft on the EQ.

• Like 1

A good friend in FL showed me his solution to the scoop/detector handling issue in the water - credit to John.  It amounts to a 16” length of 3/16” bungie cord (hardware store) and a 2” SS caribiner.  Make a loop with the bungie cord and fasten the caribiner to the loop with a cable tie.  Put the loop on your finds pouch belt.  I have a 1 3/4” SS circular key ring fastened to the arm rest of my detector with a cable tie.  I hook the carininer to the ring.  This rig is just long enough that I can swing the detector normally and can let go of the detector without dropping it and keeps it out of the way for the two handed scoop work.

• Like 2

Ted...... i hunt IN the water almost all the time so that wont work out there.   that does work well in the dry/wet sand thou......i just dont use it very often since my dry sand hunting normally is an hour or so before light and i then get in the water.   With this being a lighter machine fewer may not be using anything to help them swing....... may be a good thing that screen saver is there.

• Like 1

I use it exclusively in the water and wet sand.  Works great.  Just let go of the detector and it's always in easy reach when I'm finished with the scoop.  I don't use it in the dry sand.  I unclip it in the dry.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I always peel mine off prior to going in the water.

I place it on a used sticker pad , ie. a piece of that waxy type paper that you peel a sticker off. I have some large fragile stickers for parcels and use one base half of these.

Then I can re-use the screen protector easily.

One tip for people who re-use them to get the dust etc off the sticky side ...is to get some scotch tape or masking tape and tear off 6" or so - loop it - put it over your finger tips - roll it around the sticky side of the screen protector to clean the lumps and dust off.

Minelab supplied a sticky sheet to remove dust in the original box but mine wore out months ago. I water hunt a fair bit.

Sorry to disagree with Steve but I have lost screen protectors underwater when i forgot to take it off, they seem to slide off easier if any water gets under them or a wave hits you. I hunt in the ocean that has waves but I only go out when the waves are small.

So if you dont submerge the control unit you will probably be OK leaving it on.

• Like 1