If The Audio Is Open Gate Or The Snap Shot Type ?

Baiker

I don’t think people yet comprehend how fast Equinox is. Under the hood everything is happening in microseconds. The amount of information being collected and processed is amazing. We are used in thinking in terms of a dime. Imagine a machine that can analyze a dime, many, many times in the space of the instant it takes for you to swing across it. Then imagine Minelab engineers being able to process all that information and make target id decisions based on that information before you have left the trailing edge of the dime. No matter how fast you are swinging, Equinox internally is waiting for what must seem like a glacial age for you to get from one side of that dime to the other.

CTX like processing at faster than Deus speeds. With secret sauce added.

Mull that over and you will see that Minelab is working at a different, higher plane now with Equinox. Exactly what it does, and how it does it, I will never know and might not understand if I did know. All we can do is observe what it does and figure out how to use it to our advantage.

• Like 6

Steve

From what you just described I'll take this over blendy bleedy audio any day.  Never liked it anyway and although I can adapt to just about anything it didn't work for me.

Enough of that,

18 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

All we can do is observe what it does and figure out how to use it to our advantage.

That will be the key.  Lots of detecting scenerios to observe it in action and figure out its language.  Sounds like a fun trip to me.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Interesting info in this thread.

I wonder, how does reporting differ (speed wise) using multi freq vs single freq??

With ferrous introduced into the detecting scenario.

Not sure how this might relate, as I never used an analog machine -- and so I don't have the benefits some of the old-timers do of watching audio "evolve," from the analog era, to the digital era.

HOWEVER, I find it interesting that on the CTX, for example, you can choose "normal" audio, or, as one of the other options, "smooth."  As I understand those two settings, "normal" audio is a more "digital," rather rapid rise and fall audio, for each target.  Rise, peak, fall, reset, next target.  Something like that.  HOWEVER, as I understand the "smooth" option (never used it), it does not have the "rise, peak, fall, reset" response, but instead is a "smooth transition" from one target to another, with no threshold "reset" in between targets -- so I would imagine this to be a more "bleedy/blendy" type of response?  Not sure, as I don't know exactly what is meant by "bleedy/blendy," but in picturing what folks are discussing, I'm guessing that's what the "smooth" audio option on the CTX tries to emulate?

SO, what I'm saying is, Steve is implying that the machine is SO fast, that the audio "rise-peak-fall-reset" cycle for each target is so lightning-fast that you get good reporting of individual targets -- each target reporting separately and rapidly.  HOWEVER, I wonder if there will be a "smooth" audio option on the Equinox final version, which might be more of a "bleedy blendy" thing?  

Just thinking out loud here...

Steve

• Like 1

Hehh hehh, we cant comprehend what we dont have in hand and well videos of prototypes...  Thanks.  Most informative.

Steve the "other" site seems to be inundated with trolls, indeed.  Shame, it used to be a good resource/knowledge base, but seems to have been greatly reduced to sensationalism and bantering.  Sad, even Tom rarely posts on is own forum any more. 

At any rate the blendy/bleedy audio is a mixed bag.  I've noticed that wit  those blendy/bleedy machines, I get a lot of iron (big iron as well as that flat tin/sheet metal stuff that seems to litter ghost towns) with good TID's, but generally the audio, for lack of a better descriptor has a buzz about it, not a pure sound.  Generally the targets with the buzzy audio are either iron, or junk targets (bullet shells, shotgun hulls, etc) BUT sometimes their good relics, like buttons.    I wonder how the Equinox will ID these buzzy targets, both with it's audio response, as well as the TID.  Do you know if the TID and audio are locked together?  For example, on the old F75 that the audio gate and TID are independently processed.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Do you know if the TID and audio are locked together? 

Well, like many things Equinox I don't what what is happening under the hood, I can only report what appears to me to be happening. Again, everything is lightning fast, and so the audio and target id numbers "appear" to be tied together. It's possible they process separately but everything is happening so fast I can't tell the difference.

It is kind of like an old fashioned analog vinyl record versus digital audio. The analog record is deemed superior by many people, but if you increase the bit-rate of the digital version to be faster than the human ear and brain can process audio then the difference becomes indistinguishable to most normal people.

• Like 1