Vaquero Is One Deep Machine

Depth isn’t everything. I prefer recovery speed over depth really, but I was in Virginia recently and dug a 10 inch wheat and thought... wow. Really? 

So I supertuned the Vaquero and it was able to hit a 15 inch quarter!

Now I caught some heat on other forums posting this and folks saying no way and on my 15” coin it was jumping. It was around the hole and due to EMI but the coin is a repeatable beep. I normally don’t hunt with the Vaquero but Man is it a deep machine!

• Like 1

Tesoro as a company has never been fond of tones. They made the Golden uMax, which had tones, but it was discontinued. The Cortés has tones, but Tesoro keeps it kind of secret. From the Cortés Owner’s Manual:

“Pushing the springloaded switch into the Sum Mode causes the detector to start a multi-tone ID and averages all of the coil passes over the target. The tone ID has nine different tones and relates directly to the bar graph segments.”

However, I believe tones are only engaged while in SUM mode, which is kind of an after the fact function like pinpoint. You find the target first, then engage SUM mode to better define the target and at the same time engage the tones. So not really a hunt by tones system as I would define it.

• 5 months later...

Wouldn’t multiple tones have the potential to make you miss good targets, just like VDI? For example, if a silver coin is sitting next to a nail, wouldn’t the high tone for silver be averaged down because of the nail, and then you may not dig it? I think there is some wisdom behind sticking with a single expressive analog signal. I don’t think I’ve ever used a machine that can let you hear round like a Tesoro does. 

Target id, tones, etc are just tools. Personally I would rather have tools I can choose not to use, then not have the tools at all.

The Vaquero you set the disc control where you want it. Anything above the setting goes beep, anything under the setting is ignored. The problem is if the detector is wrong, no beep at all, walk past target.

A detector with dual tones, for instance, will beep on everything, but high tone on everything above the disc setting and low tone on everything below the disc setting. By knowing about the rejected targets, you might investigate them more, get a better centered swing, and find its a good target instead. Tones can actually help keep good items from getting rejected.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with "beep, dig" detecting. Different strokes for different folks! :smile:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It takes a while to learn the Tesoro Audio, but the term ‘beep and dig’ is a misnomer. There is a fair bit of info contained in the variable qualities of that tone. Is it clipped? Broken? raspy/scratchy? And so on... on a so called digital machine, the basics of the machine are still analogue, but with digital processing added to the mix. That processing can add lag to the reactivity of a machine, it also collapses info into binary or on/off, yes or no, black and white, high or low, dig or don’t dig tones or VDI readout on your box.  An analogue one tone, or more precisely, one pitch machine tends to see things in shades of grey, rather than a black or white type response, and it kinda gives the raw info to you, so you can decide what to do. Between any two points of reference there are infinite degrees or notches, this is why analogue machines make sense to me. The world isn’t black and white. This might be why good quality analogue machines still have a hard core following, despite being the older technology. Older, but definitely not obsolete.

Put a cheap CD player up against a cheap record player and the CD will sound better. Get a top quality CD player and put it up against a top notch record player and the record player will sound better. It does not collapse the wave form into a digititised ‘set of steps’, you get to hear more of the nuances of the music because the information is not being reduced, collapsed or simplified by the digital processing of a CD player.

The world around us  is analogue.

For the record, i run a digital machine as well as my Tejon and Laser Trident 2 (British Vaquero), its an F19, which i love. I am open to both types of machine, but to my mind analogue is superior. That’s just my opinion though...

• Like 1