Equinox For Prospecting?

I've been considering the equinox 800 and I'm wondering if there is a big (noticeable) difference in the ground noise specifically hot rocks that you hear versus a single frequency unit?  Presently using gbpro and Monster for prospecting when I'm not using my gp3000.  I recently did some beach detecting for the first time using the gbpro and I enjoyed that experience as well, so a more well rounded machine is appealing on that level too. But right now I'm most interested in what noticeable benefits the equinox brings when running in mult frequency mode.  Also curious how much improvement is gained if any with respect to target ID accurracy.  Any thoughts?  Thanks Matt

Accurate target id and ground handling is what Multi-IQ is all about. The Equinox 800 in particular is being tweaked up for prospectors.

People should understand that the main target here is the AT Max and Deus market. Minelab already dominates in the prospecting world and so the focus here is not on prospecting. Equinox is bringing some unique capability to the table however that I think will benefit prospectors.

Exciting Times!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think you and I are thinking the same thing Shasta.  I have a Z for the dig everything areas and I bought a monster for gold in trashy areas - and that's working O.K. 

But I'm wondering what benefits the 5 frequencies will provide in that same trash? More depth to targets large and small?  More than just ferrous/non ferrous discrimination?  Will it handle the same ground that a Monster can - not just in 20 and 40 khz single - but also when in multi frequency mode? 

Steve, you probably can't answer those sort of questions yet, but they're the things I'm wondering  :wink:

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Accurate target id and ground handling is what Multi-IQ is all about. The Equinox 800 in particular is being tweaked up for prospectors.

People should understand that the main target here is the AT Max and Deus market. Minelab already dominates in the prospecting world and so the focus here is not on prospecting. Equinox is bringing some unique capability to the table however that I think will benefit prospectors.

Exciting Times!

Steve

Is it reasonable to assume then that Multi-IQ benefits ground handling in single frequency disc modes as well? 

So many questions and some answers! :smile:

Tom

The truth is Minelab does not tell me just exactly what is going on under the hood any more than anyone else. My assumption is that when the detector is in single frequency mode it is just running like a single frequency detector, and that when in multifrequency something else entirely is going on. My overall impression is the single frequency modes are by and large just legacy modes tossed in simply because they can do it. It's then up to us to decide what is useful or not. I suspect almost everyone that uses an Equinox will do so in multifrequency mode except in the rarest of circumstances. The detector in a way is almost like a test to see if single frequency really does have any uses left. 

Gold Mode is a whole different beast and I can't say much about that yet. I promise the wait is not being wasted and the machine just keeps getting better during this rather intensive "wrap it up" phase.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Gold Mode is a whole different beast and I can't say much about that yet. I promise the wait is not being wasted and the machine just keeps getting better during this rather intensive "wrap it up" phase.

Might just make a prospector out of me yet :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The detector in a way is almost like a test to see if single frequency really does have any uses left. 

A pretty good comment I reckon  :smile:

On 12/15/2017 at 6:40 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The truth is Minelab does not tell me just exactly what is going on under the hood any more than anyone else. My assumption is that when the detector is in single frequency mode it is just running like a single frequency detector, and that when in multifrequency something else entirely is going on. My overall impression is the single frequency modes are by and large just legacy modes tossed in simply because they can do it. It's then up to us to decide what is useful or not. I suspect almost everyone that uses an Equinox will do so in multifrequency mode except in the rarest of circumstances. The detector in a way is almost like a test to see if single frequency really does have any uses left. 

Steve

The question I asked regarding single freq operation and IQ ground handling has been stuck in my poor old brain, just can't shake it. Reason being I love the 5kHz  Musketeer Advantage and the performance it offers on deep big silver.   In comparison the 3 kHz X-Terra freq never floated my boat performance wise.  I for one will definitely be using and comparing the low single freq to multi if only for nostalgic reasons.

Tom