Would A Concentric Coil Work Well On The Equinox?

relicmeister

I'm wondering how the Equinox would perform with a concentric coil, as compared to dd coils , assuming one is offered as an accessory in the future. ?

I have no idea but I certainly would very much like a concentric coil for the Equinox. My big beef with DD coils is that they introduce complex multiple signals when working with very shallow targets. It is not unusual to get three signals on a shallow target as the target passes under each edge of the coil plus the center. In more open ground I use this as a shallow target indicator, but in shallow modern trash it can make for a complex mess. Finally, in very mild ground, concentric coils can obtain a depth advantage versus a similar size DD coil.

A concentric will usually produce much cleaner single hits on shallow targets. On many detectors you also get better ferrous handling though there is no way to know if that would be true on Equinox.

• Like 1

Thank You Steve, I don't know why it hasn't been commented on before this. I know the Nox has not even been released but I hope Minelab offers up a 9" or 10" concentric coil like the one  the x terra 705 came with as its stock coil ( although I really preferred the 10.5" dd on the 705)

i think for the equinox I'd rather get a concentric coil before I got a small or large dd as an accessory coil, unless I had very expansive fields to detect.

i am often confused by the multiple signals that dd coils give on shallow targets. I think I will try the 5"x10" concentric coil from my Omega on my f75-I've already tried the 5"x10" dd from the Omega and it worked well. 

• Like 2

I got curious about the dd vs concentric question with respect to the Equinox and  looked into that question with respect to xp deus, and I could'nt find any examples of a concentric coil on the deus, which I find rather curious. If anyone knows why that is I'd like to know. Has one even been tried and is one even available ? 

6 hours ago, relicmeister said:

I think I will try the 5"x10" concentric coil from my Omega on my f75-I've already tried the 5"x10" dd from the Omega and it worked well.

A Teknetics Omega (7.8 kHz) coil working on the Fisher F75 (13 kHz) is a big surprise.  Even the Tek T2 (also 13 kHz) coils supposedly don't work on the F75.  Guess I need to do some experimenting myself.  I have several coils for my 19 kHz Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and those work on the Tek Gamma (sibling of the Omega).  Going to be interesting....

On 12/17/2017 at 8:06 PM, GB_Amateur said:

A Teknetics Omega (7.8 kHz) coil working on the Fisher F75 (13 kHz) is a big surprise.  Even the Tek T2 (also 13 kHz) coils supposedly don't work on the F75.  Guess I need to do some experimenting myself.  I have several coils for my 19 kHz Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and those work on the Tek Gamma (sibling of the Omega).  Going to be interesting....

works fine, though I haven't used enough to see how TID is using them compared to the stock coil, but I don't think that disqualifies them. I have them and they work so why not use them?

On 12/17/2017 at 12:33 PM, relicmeister said:

I could'nt find any examples of a concentric coil on the deus, which I find rather curious. If anyone knows why that is I'd like to know

Only XP knows the answer to that question. There are a few rare detectors, like the Teknetics T2, that are designed for and only work well with DD coils. I don’t know any reason however why a concentric would not work on the Equinox and in fact I would like a hot little concentric like the Gold Bug 2 small elliptical concentric but wound specifically for 40 kHz. Like with the Deus, only Minelab knows the answer to this question. At the moment anyway; just another thing to find out! :cool:

An 8" or 9" concentric would be a blast on the EQuinox.  I especially would like one for fresh water hunting.  Model it after the 9" X-Terra coil as that one slices through the water like a hot knife through butter.

Tom

Quite a change in footprint at depth between the coils.   Each handles mineralization a bit different as well.   The cone shaped vs the scanner style.   You dont have to do quit the over lapping with a DD coil...... thou it does loose about an inch on each end at depths.   Its not quite as deep thou.   For most beach hunting i wouldnt recommend a concentric coil...... just drop down to a smaller one in trash. 

In my experience DD coils are more adept at handling ferrous ground conditions and salts.  To my understanding this is due to the construction of the coil. With the range of frequencies the EQ is handling in multi-modes I suspect its the best coil for the job on a wide range of conditions thus why ML is supplying them.  Ease of programming.  I understand other multi-frequency machines are adept with concentric coils so I'm no knocking that coil type however I suspect it would take some tweeking of the EQ programming to handle a concentric coil.  Something that may or may not be in the works over at ML.  Considering the ML coils are chipped I don't see an after market coil any time soon, example being  the 7000 and the rumors of an after market coil there.