Equinox Performance

I live in the red/orange iron bearing areas of Virginia, (USA). 

It will take all but 10 minutes in my test garden to evaluate the performance of this new machine.  Over the past 11 years (this spring) I've had some of the most expensive detectors visit and provide a demonstration of their abilities to detect the targets in my test garden.  It's surprising how cost doesn't necessarily mean best detector in my area and my ground conditions.  Some have completely failed detecting my deepest targets while others have performed very well (not perfect).  I have kept detailed records of each machine and can say only one can reliably detect all my targets, but not necessarily from every direction.  Two other machine give an audio, but the wrong audio and the ID floats from low iron to silver half dollar.  Adding the ground to complicate target ID it has become obvious that a standard VLF machine can't be relied on beyond certain depths.  That being said a true motion all metal mode works very well in detecting the deep targets, but still the ID is off.  I've almost convinced myself to purchase the EQ 800, but would entertain a complete evaluation from Steve once they are release to the public.

• Like 2

Would be interesting to see some of the results from various tests, and what the test garden consists of.

I wish I had the space to do a test garden, the NBT is the closest I can come to one, but it's only one of a myriad of tests I'd like to be able to do, such as depth on various targets and such. 

After watching this Minelab video I realize just how primitive my test garden really is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark- thanks for the Video!  Clearly ML is a First Rate Company!  Hopefully the Equinox will turn out to be a great most-use detector!  It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.  Wonder how much demand there really is and can production keep up?  Most likely the Equinox will be better than an X-Terra, which means it's really good.  There is lots of confusion and why we all wonder and speculate.  

The new Equinox technology sounds good and to me the Equinox simply looks cool!  Almost like a cell phone on a wand!

Oh, I wanted to say... over the years of detecting I've noticed while LUCK, Persistence, Knowledge and Equipment play parts in the success puzzle, most important is attitude!  When I'm positive, think gold and expect to find... I do and find in some sad looking places.  If I have a negative/poor attitude I find nothing!  This has happened again and again- so much so, even when I go a few hours without finding, I keep thinking the next target will be a gold ring!  After hours and days of detecting in the sea, keeping that positive mental attitude can be difficult.  Sounds crazy, but at the onset of a lightning storm I somehow get tuned-in and suddenly start scooping gold for as long as I dare stay in the water!  

I find it's very important to like your equipment.  To have faith in your detector, knowing it will find gold.  When I like my machine, it's far easier to stay positive during a hunt.  Hand me an Excalibur and I know I'll soon find gold!  Every time Iook at the Equinox I smile on the inside.  I'm filled with visions of treasure.  So if the Equinox performs close to my perceived expectations.... well gold is as good as in my scoop!

• Like 2

I suggest not wasting time and just head for that great silver location that is not producing anymore and go detecting. Most likely the closest old city or town park. Or head to the beach. Whatever. Should not take more than a session or two to sort things out in most people’s minds. :smile:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I suggest not wasting time and just head for that great silver location that is not producing anymore and go detecting. Most likely the closest old city or town park. Or head to the beach. Whatever. Should not take more than a session or two to sort things out in most people’s minds. :smile:

Steve if you'd kindly lend me your 800 for a weekend, I'd be ecstatic to hit the local old San Francisco parks and the beach too, I'll gladly leave you my Impact as collateral  :rolleyes:

J/K - Definitely looking forward to putting it through the initial paces to see what it's capable of.  I have several sites that are challenging for various reasons (ground conditions, iron, etc) and others that seem to be hunted out, but I suspect still have treasure to give up, it just takes a machine that does things differently.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cabo Chris said:

Oh, I wanted to say... over the years of detecting I've noticed while LUCK, Persistence, Knowledge and Equipment play parts in the success puzzle, most important is attitude!  When I'm positive, think gold and expect to find... I do and find in some sad looking places.  If I have a negative/poor attitude I find nothing!  This has happened again and again- so much so, even when I go a few hours without finding, I keep thinking the next target will be a gold ring!  After hours and days of detecting in the sea, keeping that positive mental attitude can be difficult.  Sounds crazy, but at the onset of a lightning storm I somehow get tuned-in and suddenly start scooping gold for as long as I dare stay in the water!  

I find it's very important to like your equipment.  To have faith in your detector, knowing it will find gold.  When I like my machine, it's far easier to stay positive during a hunt.  Hand me an Excalibur and I know I'll soon find gold!  Every time Iook at the Equinox I smile on the inside.  I'm filled with visions of treasure.  So if the Equinox performs close to my perceived expectations.... well gold is as good as in my scoop!

Cabo, I agree with all your points, belief in a machine makes a huge difference in how I approach hunting any site.  I know I shouldn't do this but the XP Dues will be the comparison machine with the Equinox.  The Deus was really good at pulling goodies out of assumed hunted out sites and I have over 3 years of hard hunting experience which adds a lot of confidence. 

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Mark, About 40 years ago I was at a silver mine in southern Virginia. I think some where near Fancy Gap. There were wooden planks covering the opening to the mine. The problem was the shaft was straight down. Don' remember how to get there, just remembering being there.

• Like 1