Will Multi-IQ Obsolete CTX - And What About Those Single Frequencies?

This is an official Minelab response to a question on their YouTube channel back in late November (overlooked until now):

Question from cache mole - "Will Multi IQ obsolete FBS?"

Answer from Minelab Metal Detectors - "A very good question!

We are generally stating that Multi-IQ obsoletes single frequency detectors, not simultaneous multi-frequency detectors. This really has captured market attention! It is quite likely that some people will become EQUINOX supporters, while others will want to keep using their favourite FBS detector (not too dissimilar to GPX vs GPZ).

So the best honest answer to your question right now is:

"Multi-IQ has the future potential to obsolete FBS technology."

For some users, that may be immediate when they buy an EQUINOX. For others it may be with a future product with Multi-IQ, or an enhancement of it.

If you refer to our first TT blog on Multi-IQ technology:
https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-1 and look at the timeline diagrams - there were/are several generations of BBS/FBS detectors. We are only at the very beginning for Multi-IQ.

Minelab-Treasure-Detectors-Timeline-Grap

When EQUINOX is released, CTX 3030 will remain as our flagship treasure detector, having many functions that EQUINOX does not have - Fe/Co discrimination, Target Trace and others.

A significant advantage with Multi-IQ is it's FAST. Think of it as the typical multi-frequency performance of a Minelab detector, at the speed of any good single frequency detector you are familiar with. Also, expect no performance downside running in "Multi" compared to a single frequency. Unless in Gold Mode, we recommend "Multi" as the best frequency option. But, you can use a single frequency if you wish, in Park and Field modes."

Multi-IQ Technology Explained

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this Steve, very interesting indeed!! So, it looks like the EQ800 is just the beginning of a new line of Minelab machines.

It sure would be interesting to see an EQ1000 with target trace and a 2-D screen.

• Like 1

I'm an old 705 guy. Meaning I'm the old part.I have coils in all frequencies.I'm thinking I want the Equinox .But not sure. I like the 705 a lot.But no coil change is tempting . I run a plugger rod and the stock  rod so always have two detectors basically. Is there a real performance ---major change???

I am specifically disallowed from presenting information regarding differences between modes or anything that has the goal of “figuring out” how Multi-IQ works until such time as Minelab themselves present that information. Such tests on anything but a final, production version of Equinox would be misleading at best.

minelab-equinox-multi-iq-metal-detector-technology-frequency-response-chart.jpg

• Like 3

It's amazing how few if any leaks on news of the Equinox.  But at this point with units shipping in January, why the continued secrecy?  I would think releasing all the Equinox Goodies now would create even more demand.  I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever get all the dirt on M-IQ?  Perhaps ML has to guard until patents approved?  Yet having multiple machines on order, I sure would like to read about all the Equinox functions and capabilities.  I asked ML when they might post the Equinox manual now that an estimated release date was announced.

With the ML answer post above, I wonder why as I've pointed out ML said M-IQ was not as sensitive to silver as FBS, nor handled salt as well?  Clearly ML has high expectations for M-IQ and is it possible we're seeing the beginning of the end of BBS/FBS as we know it?  Now I'm even more excited about the Equinox!

The UK fella that found that 1 cm. gold coin at a 10"+ depth with ID, with the EQX 800.  Could the CTX or deus  have found that gold coin under those conditions ?  Could any detector on the market today, excluding the pulse units , have  located and ID'ED that coin  the way the EQX did?   ( I never owned a ctx or deus)  . If not,  the words obsoleting the single freekers, and many other detectors  comes back to mind.  

In about 30 days, I could be holding one of these 800's in my hands.  :wub::biggrin::tongue:.

Redneck,

#1 -- I have never dug a gold coin (yet, LOL)!  #2 -- I have only owned the CTX for about 6 weeks.  With those disclaimers out of the way...

...I will say that I am near certain -- and that's an understatement -- that no way does the CTX find a 10" deep, 1 cm gold coin...

A very, very impressive dig, and testimonial on the Equinox -- if indeed that coin was near the bottom of the 10" plus hole he dug (which we don't know FOR SURE; we only that it was "in the dirt" removed from his 10+" deep hole...)

Steve

• Thanks 1

Information will be available when it appears. No amount of wondering why it is the way it is or letting Minelab know there are still things they still need to do (they know that) will change a thing. If the information currently in hand is insufficient for making a purchasing decision, then hold off making that purchasing decision.

• Like 2

I'll wait until Steve reports the facts, but looking back over the past several weeks/months and just how may well know hunters have sold off their machines indicates positive motive.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Also, expect no performance downside running in "Multi" compared to a single frequency

This is a key ingredient in consistent performance of a multi-frequency machine.  If this holds true, it will be a game changer for sure.  interesting how this would do in some of my bad ground areas where other multi-frequency machines have failed.  Now I understand their advertising theme more clearly.