Minelab SDC 2300 Strip Down & Rebuild

Norvic

On 12/21/2017 at 12:06 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I wanted to try something similar but swore off after my last go of rebuilding a detector, so I am glad to see you tackling it Norvic!

I split this off as a new thread from the one going previously about the SDC 2300 battery...

I have the 18650s in my SDC and i like them-- i can charge 4 up at one time and they are much easier to fool with.... I have never had them lose contact yet and they are CHEAP online.....

On 1/14/2018 at 6:27 PM, Norvic said:

Thank you Steve, I was either selling the SDC and getting a QED or changing it to what I believe is what most of us wanted. Especially with the hopeful release of the NF SDC coil. No doubt the Z is my main gold detector, now I also have a lightweight & easy to swing PI for those areas the Z just can`t get at, although a bit agricultural in looks it is very functional.  I suspect I will use it a lot more now, well until ML make that smaller coil we seek for the Z.

It was a very easy mod., the basic guts of the SDC have not been changed at all, so to put it back in its original form would take probably 2 hours max. No wires were cut, no soldering or alterations of the CBs, just so easy to do for anyone that is handy with their hands.

Wow, i missed this whole thread last year... i like it!

And dont use the camo tape--- i lose stuff too easily as it is now!!!! ---I like the industrial look ?

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Had to bump this to top. I'm still wishing/hoping/dreaming that Minelab would put the SDC 2300 in a regular housing that can use regular coils. People obviously want it. They have aftermarket frankencoils for the SDC now since Minelab refuses to accommodate the market. Why is it so hard to get companies to see what seems so screaming bloody obvious? No new invention needed, just an ergonomic design. Is it that hard to make something that is ergonomic? Charge the same price, I don't care, but please give users what we want, not what we are told we want.

• Like 3

Aie a lightweight SDC would be the go, but I suspect if ML was so inclined a lightweight, no frills Z with a small coil would be the better go, the X 10" on the Z set in conservative settings is a SDC competitor in both quietness and sensitivity, crank it up to Steves Insane Settings and put up with a wee noisy machine and it kills the SDC in both size and depth . 

Now how we can get ML to become "inclined" is the golden question?

• Like 1

Buh who knows the go with ML, perhaps is as Steve has stated or alternatively maybe they just have`t the expertise to make  coils. Their commanders for the Xs were top coils, but the flat/spiral wound coils of the aftermarket fellows put them to rest as now the X`s on the Z. No doubt ML lead the world in detectors, I don`t think we can say that about their coils. If there is some truth in in our suspicions then that perhaps explains their chip in the Zs cable, if that wasn`t there I have no doubt there would not be many ML coils being used on the Z as is so for the GPXs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 9:16 PM, Norvic said:

Buh who knows the go with ML, perhaps is as Steve has stated or alternatively maybe they just have`t the expertise to make  coils.

Did you ever get a Coiltek aftermarket coil for your SDC? Or just a waste of money now that you are running the X-Coil on your GPZ?

Yes  I did get a 11" round Coiltek for the SDC and  reviewed its performance alongside the 10"X on the Z, in another DP thread. Basically I stated they are similar in performance if the X coil is run in conservative settings and thus compares to the 11" Coiltek in "ease of use" but however if one cranks the Z up with the X coil it kills the SDC, but the fair comparison is operating them both at the same "ease of use" settings which is how ML made the SDC to operate at.

No doubt for me I`ll go with the Z + 10"X if I need a smaller coil combo because I am prepared to run at cranked up settings, especially in fixed GB which makes the Z Xtra Magic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the report. I have no doubt the GPZ with small coil is the way to go. I'm still just shaking trees trying to get a SDC in a proper housing to fall out and multiple coil options are part of that equation. And your thread is the best place to shake the tree! :smile:

• Haha 1

I`d sell you one but you`ll have to pay my daughter in laws inflated price, she has claimed it since its been modded into probably the worlds only ergonomic SDC. There you are ML an old blind, deaf & unedumacated ex SH Engineer can make one ergonomic that also doesn`t cut out whenever it gets a bump, why can`t you...……………….😈

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Very cool. is this the same one that's listed on eBay at the moment? 😛