What Is Length Of Equinox Fully Collapsed?

Redneck

At just under three pounds most people will have no issues swinging this detector all day, day after day. However, any detector with no weight under the armrest will be at least a little nose heavy. The Equinox is very much like a Gold Bug Pro or G2 with 7" x 11" DD coil in that regard. The Deus with 11" coil because it is a little lighter is actually more nose heavy.

Weight and balance gets tricky. If you go as light as possible a detector will usually be nose heavy to some degree. This can be offset with weight under the elbow, but then the total weight goes up. Fisher for instance made the F75 a little heavier at 3.5 lbs in order to better balance the detector by putting the battery pod under the armrest.

Minelab cheated and gives you the ability to have your cake and eat it too. The Equinox is designed first and foremost to be light in weight. However, slots were added to the footrest to make it easy to strap in external batteries, counterweights, or both combined. I may experiment with this myself with the larger 15" x 12" coil when it is available but with the stock 11" coil there really is no need for me at least. In fact, I often am pushing down on the coil when park hunting to flatten the grass and get the coil closer to the ground.

I will do some counterweight experiments and report back in the next few days.

nokta-impact-xp-deus-teknetics-g2-minelab-equinox-with-weights.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My Equinox gets much shorter with this conversion kit:

I had a chance to use it in the woods this past weekend. Let me tell you, the ability to collapse it to it's shortest length really comes in handy when you go off the path in thick (now leafless, thorny) growth. That I can attest to!

I was able to break-out my phone and carry the Equinox tucked under my arm and look at the phone as I made my way out of the heavy brush and back to my vehicle before dark. 

Sincerely,

Gerry