What Park / Turf Excavation Method Do You Use?

fredmason

49 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:
7 hours ago, Mike Buck said:

Now, any advice on what you pack for a travel shovel?

Nope, I don't have a shovel - Lesche for parks, pick for prospecting. Your question would be great for a new thread.

Haha, Steve...I assume the leche means you are not just doing surface work....you got to dig for the deep silver.   Do you cut a plug or go for the slit, pry the cut open and then dig?

fred

I do exactly as below - probe and recover if shallow enough, trap door plug if deeper than a few inches. Always with an electronic pinpointer in hand. The pinpointer is what tells me the item is shallow enough to probe for. If the pinpointer can’t hit it, time for a plug.

I try to never plug in turf unless the ground is moist, which can really limit me to spring and fall in Reno. Or areas that have great sprinkler systems.

IMG_0038.PNG

• Like 2

Like Steve, I use the probe and pop method if I can get a signal on the target with my pinpointer. No pinpointer signal, I'll do the trapdoor method.  During the dry season in nicer grass, I will cut a slit in the grass over the target , open the slit up and dig the target, then refill and close the slit. Keeps the grass alive. Works fine in sandy soil but probably not so much in heavier clay soils.

• Like 2

I have dug holes many ways in most types of soil. I love sandy soil because you really can't hurt the grass-unless you pull it out. Here in San Diego county we have Bermuda grass. It has extremely deep roots so plugging only leaves dead spots. Hence my preferred slit method which works any where and any type of grass. And any type of soil, wet or dry.

Not trying to dispute any one...just my method.

fred 

• Like 5

For turf I prefer a hori-hori, a gasket scraper, and a small towel. Along with my carrot, you will never know I was there.  If the turf is too dry to dig neatly, I mark the target for later recovery on my GPS and move on to a different location.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cabo Chris said:

I hear the NOX goes deeep!  ?

IMG_20171223_165247501.jpg

Comedic comment appreciated!:biggrin: I personally feel these are overkill for most "Park / Turf" applications, and they scare the groundskeeper.

• Like 1