Detecting Gold In Tailing Piles & Placer Digs - Article With Photos

HEY GERRY,  I HAVE A BINDER THAT IS LOADED WITH ARTICLES FROM PROSPECTING/MINING TYPE MAGAZINES POSTED BY YOU, STEVE, ROB FROM ROBS DETECTORS AND OTHERS.  THIS ARTICLE IS THE FIRST PAGES IN THE BINDER..THANKS FOR EVERTHING..IdahoAl

• Like 1

Al,  You are certainly welcome my friend.  Good knowledgeable dealers such as Steve (in the day when he was one) Rob, Chris, Doc and a couple others all have the same goal and passion.  To promote the hobby of metal detecting and help educate those who desire to learn.  Back in the 80's I realized I enjoyed helping people with metal detectors and so a few years later, turned it into a very successful business.

2 hours ago, goldseeker4000 said:

Anyone not able to download the pdf?

I had to sign in before it would open but it did open once I signed into the forum

great read thanks for posting and teaching,thats why i love coming to this forum as a new to detecting for gold detectorist I appreciate all of you that have been there and done the things you have and willing to teach those of us that are just learning how to detect for gold.

Thank you Gerry,Steve And every one else that post things like this and Merry Christmas to everyone

• Like 1

I was signed in and I still was not able to download the pdf file.

On 12/24/2017 at 3:13 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Realize this is almost a 10 year old article and some things might have changed, but take what you can from it.

Enjoyed the article.  Thanks!  From your comment above I'm wondering about this quote from the article:  A good detectorist will be happy to dig plenty of lead bullets and .22 shell casings; however his pouch will have hardly any iron at all.

Still your feeling today?  IB, PI, ZVT?

• Like 1

GB,  Yes I feel the same when hunting Tailing Piles.  Depth is like a double edge sword and when hunting TP's as there can be some big iron at extreme depths.  I would rather have a lighter detector with decent iron discrimination than a PI or ZED.  Now if you find a pile that is loaded with nuggets, it is always wise to go back over that same pile with the deeper PI or ZED.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Three phones later and I still can't download this article.

• Like 1