New Member Here - ATX Versus SDC

I’m a new member from Wasilla, Alaska. I am new to detecting for gold and was hoping you can help me make a final decision on which P.I. detector I want to buy. The reason why I want to get a P.I. Detector is so that I don’t have to worry about hot rocks setting off my detector much like in Petersville, note I have been using a gold bug pro. Now saying that I live in wasilla and knowing that the majority of nuggets are small I will be mainly hunting in relatively close areas such as Hatcher Pass and Petersville. I know that VLF detectors are hard to use in Petersville due to the graphite slate hot rocks. The main reason I am looking towards an SDC 2300 and the ATX machines are because of there ability to be compact for hiking and waterproof which makes it easier to walk through the bushes following streams. Other wise I would love to save up for the relatively new gpz 7000 which I may consider later on down the line or maybe even get a gpx 5000. I like the fact that the 2 machines I am interested in are pretty good on small gold. I want to be able to detect mainly along streams with the thought that if I find a small nugget I would also be able to pan that same spot of a found nugget. The things keeping me from making a decision are the quirks of each machine. ATX can change coils and go deeper which I really like but also don’t like how I hear it can false on targets if bumped into a clump of grass or  protruding rocks. I like how the SDC is hot on smaller gold and specimen gold since I think the reality of me finding big nuggets are slim, but I also don’t like the idea of it being a shallow detector and mainly for small gold. Do you think you can help me out on making a decision here? 

Welcome to the forum!

There is no right or wrong answer here. It is basically a minor trade. The SDC with 8” coil does not go as deep on a multi ounce nugget as an ATX with a larger coil. Yet I would not consider it to be a “shallow” machine - that is the VLFs! The ATX will not hit gold as small as the SDC can but is not bad also in that regard. The coil knock sensitivity thing is way overdone as regards the ATX and would not even factor into the decision for me.

Purely a personal choice but if I were in your shoes I would not worry about missing multi ounce nuggets. The gold in the area is small so the SDC makes more sense to me.

• Like 4

Thanks Steve, I have been leaning back and fourth on which machine I would like to get. One being able to detect smallest gold possible without interference of hot rocks. Two wanting the ability to hit large nuggets deeper without false signals. Since I know you have detected in both areas and know the gold around my area, you have helped me make my decision to go with an SDC 2300. But since it’s winter time I won’t be getting one until spring time. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Welcome Boogness,  Steve knows both machines well and his abilities with most gold detectors is TOPS.  Advantages of the ATX is the extra ground coverage per sweep, more depth on larger nuggets (not that many out there), also more depth on specimens (more of those to be found than large nuggets).  One factor I really like on the ATX is the Iron Disc abilities vs the SDC-2300 (none).  Now many people will tell you to dig it all, but I just can't waist that much time and energy as I get older.  I use features on the detectors at certain times to help my odds.  Steve is DEAD ON when he says "not a shallow machine".  Yes, the SDC-2300 will not go as deep as the ATX on big gold, but in fact will go deeper than ATX on 1 gram and less nuggets.  I have customers who have even dug 14 to 16" and found gold with the SDC, but I have yet to find or hear of any SDC nuggets at 18" or more.  The compactness of the SDC is better than the ATX and the weight is less as well.  I do like the fact the ATX has a variety of coil selection, which allows you more opportunities in the field.

The price of the SDC-2300 is steep vs ATX, but you get an additional 1 yr warranty on SDC (3 years total) vs ATX at 2 years. Ive used both, fold gold nuggets with both and also have used both in water when hunting gold rings, with success. If you show up at Rye Patch, NV (worked to death for 30+ years) I would bet money, the SDC-2300 will find more nuggets than the ATX.  So when I see it happen (while training customers) more than once, I realize the machine for RP is the SDC-2300. 

Not taking anything away from the ATX because they priced it much better and it fits in some folks budget easier too.

I just took in a lightly used ATX DeepSeeker with both coils and also have a used SDC-2300, as one of my staff just stepped up to the GPZ-7000.  Contact me direct if you are interested in either of them.

Here is a way to cool down in the hot summer temps and find gold..of a different type.

• Like 4