Calm Before The Storm

2 minutes ago, fredmason said:

is that the msrp for the 600 Equinox?  

I believe that's correct.

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

is that the msrp for the 600 Equinox?  

The Equinox 600 is selling for $649 and the Equinox 800 for $899 in the U.S.

These would be what is called Minimum Advertised Price, or MAP. The Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is a fake number. It sets an artificially high price in the U.S. for the sole purpose of making you think you are getting a deal when you pay less. Which everyone does since MAP is always what things advertise for these days.

MSRP pricing is actually illegal in some countries, and most foreign companies find having to play that game in the U.S. to be annoying at best. It is one of those “everyone else does it so we have to do it also” things. There is actually an MSRP for the Equinox detectors, but in a sign that sanity may prevail someday I see most advertisers are not even bothering to display it any longer.

What is interesting to me is that Minelab just released new Go-Find models. Despite rumors to the contrary the Go-Find series is now Minelab’s best selling model by unit sales. Brand new Go-Find models on the low end and Equinox higher up leaves X-Terra in the middle in a price squeeze. Rather than being discontinued, X-Terra now provides an important price bridge between Go-Find and Equinox.

Current Minelab MAP - Models under $1K (United States)

Go-Find 22 $149

Go-Find 44 $199

Go-Find 66 $249

X-Terra 305 $259

X-Terra 505 $349

X-Terra 705 $499

Equinox 600 $649

Equinox 800 $899

• Like 2

All the prices have come down sharply but only recently, and other manufacturers are doing the same. Right now top of the line VLF detectors can be had here for $499 new with full warranty. Great times for buyers but anyone sitting on used detectors hoping to sell them someday is watching the value go down by the day.

I do see some used detectors going for way more than they should, and I think it is because people have not quite caught up to how fast the price of new models is plummeting.

• Like 2

I can see the Deus taking a right dive when the Equinox comes. The French will have to rename it the Stuka .

Have you seen a site on the net called Wish.com ? Blimey i cant believe the prices of Fishers on there . Either they are Chinese copies or they have no warranty or something ?

You may have to join the site to see the sales.

Lots of counterfeit out there. Manufacturers and dealers all self-police MAP pricing, and so if you see anybody advertising below the Minimum Advertised Price that would be the number one red flag alerting you to counterfeit product. I am certain the counterfeiters are at work as we speak using photos and measurements published on this website in an attempt to build early fake product as soon as possible. They only have to look right - internally the cheapest VLF circuit is all they need - if that.

Minelab Stop Counterfeit Campaign

These are Fishers and Garrett lookalike on this site . They are being sold for peanuts . 1 on there , a Fisher GoldBug Pro with both coils was listed at £186 . On the site it says it cuts the middleman , probably the factory too !! Makes you wonder if they do buy in bulk but a seller here that does sell Fisher as a main dealer would really suffer if people started seeing this site as real and safe with genuine products .

The NOX obsoleting single frequency machines in certain ways makes sense and is nothing really new at all.  BBS and FBS been there, done that!  No single frequency detector works as well as a BBS Excalibur in the sea.  Yet BBS/FBS have not obsoleted single frequency machines.  The Sovereign was known to open new detecting grounds, yet even ML was/is marketing their 705 VFlex.  While the NOX most likely will turn out to be wonderful, I think the ML obsolete statement is brilliant marketing!  This prolonged NOX release clouded with showmanship, truths and lots of speculation has caused a loss of interest in other detectors, which I believe to be temporary.  I doubt the AT MAX is dead.

I'm as excited about the NOX as much as anyone, but have come to my senses.  All the speculation, even on my part has cooled me down to just wait and see mode, the only option most of us have.  We all can imagine how perfect the NOX will be and it may even be a result of reversed engineering of alien technology?  I hear the NOX can make a Cappuccino while detecting!  Any new detection technology is welcomed, but I just have to wonder about a new Wonder Machine, outdoing them all starting at $649?  Why ML could charge $2,495.00+ and most of us here would still buy it!  Well I would.  No matter how great the new technology, I'm wondering where the compromises are?  How will the NOX compare to my Excals in saltwater?  Or handle a black sand beach?  How will the NOX compare to FBS on deep silver coins?  Will the NOX really outshine the Fisher GB2 on small nuggets?  Does any of this really matter?  How many GB2 users will dump for a NOX?  Will the NOX hit gold chains in wet salt sand like the Makro Racer can?  I think the NOX will have to be a Super Machine to obsolete?  I'm hoping all this speculation is not turning the NOX into eventual disappointment for some? 

Besides, the best detector is not the only thing needed for treasure hunting success.  Why I recall some fantastic treasures being discovered by an inexpensive ACE 250!  The kind of finds which cause drooling!  One still has to put the coil over it.  Why I have watched "Fanners" find large gold chains in the sea with no detector at all!  I kind of question if single frequency technology is dead?  Tesoro has never been that HOT on MF, and Jack flat out indicated that in their detecting mags.  Even dual frequency machines have potential with some new automation... like taking up where the Whites Beach Hunter ID ended.  The BHID liked gold rings in wet salt sand and was a fast responding machine.  The NOX has some big shoes to fill, especially as many have different expectations for their detecting needs/styles.  It's going to be very interesting after all this hoopla how this pans out... will the NOX become King or will there be some disappointment?  Again I welcome all this NOX stuff with open arms, but will just go back into my WAIT mode.  Fun Stuff.  Happy New Year and great hunting in 2018 to all!              

• Like 2