Calm Before The Storm

Steve says"  I actually held onto my detector collection until the last possible moment so as to not tip the hand too early, but the fact is I cleared them out as soon as I could once the time came because in my opinion the existing market prices for used detectors has nowhere to go but down. I held onto a few as an insurance policy for oddball applications but the fact is that in 2018 I doubt I will use anything but my GPZ 7000 and Equinox 800. "

This says it all. 

• Like 2

It really is all there is to say for anyone that has followed my posts for over twenty years. I just don't make statements like that - until now. I have had a new detector cause me to get rid of another detector before, but I have never had a new detector cause me to ditch a half dozen other detectors. It's like I kept searching and searching for something I could not find, and then finally found it. It is an actual feeling of relief, knowing that I am all set to go detecting in 2018 and am done with the detector of the month nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Skate said:

Steve says"  I actually held onto my detector collection until the last possible moment so as to not tip the hand too early, but the fact is I cleared them out as soon as I could once the time came because in my opinion the existing market prices for used detectors has nowhere to go but down. I held onto a few as an insurance policy for oddball applications but the fact is that in 2018 I doubt I will use anything but my GPZ 7000 and Equinox 800. "

This says it all. 

STILL have not found a replacement for the way I hunt in Salt Water so I will not sell my 2 GT's.  I will wait for test results on the NOX. Too bad it is not out for my 4 month sabbatical.  If it is worth any salt [pun intended] I will give it a run in July.

They are in the sidebar. The Gold Monster, Makro Gold Racer, and White's V3i. The V3i I have to keep to run my Bigfoot coil. The Gold Monster I like for its simplicity and for it being more a work tool I don't mind beating up and because I need more time with both it and Equinox before deciding if the Gold Monster stays or goes. And the Makro Gold Racer I am keeping just because I have a soft spot for it because it was almost like Makro made it just for me. Not true but it was them that made it when nobody else would make a detector like it.

The Garrett ATX is because Minelab does not make a better waterproof PI for saltwater use. I wish they would stuff the GPX circuit into a CTX housing.

So to sum up I am down to just five models:

Minelab GPZ 7000 - the big gun for big gold

Minelab Gold Monster 1000 - clean up the tiny bits the GPZ misses

Garrett ATX - backup for GPZ, ocean and lake detecting

White’s V3i - runs my Bigfoot coil, jewelry detecting

Makro Gold Racer - because I always wanted a detector like this and I feel like Makro made it for me

Add the Equinox 800 to that and I am done, with the probability being that any of those going unused for all of 2018 will probably find new homes next winter. The Gold Racer and Gold Monster in particular seem superflous.

• Like 1

In another post i put that my ET and Explorer's have had around £10 k in coins . And that should be enough to pay for themselves . Unfortunately i have bought a few of those machines over the years and sold them before making their money trying not to have out of warranty machines . Now though only my ET has warranty which runs out late 2018 . 

The other reason i might well hold onto them is that where i search there are a lot of louts and drunk ones at that on the beaches at night and my Explorers even if looking mint condition are cheap detectors now . Losing 1 wont be like losing a new £879 Equinox 800 . I will treat the Equinox with care for a while i have 2 and all the spare bits and accessories i need .

Then the Explorer's go.

Nuke em, It sounds like you need a M&P 9, or at least a can of police-strength pepper spray, for the yobs on the beaches you hunt.:biggrin:

Here in Northern California the only harassment I get is from the surfers.  They always yell, "what are you looking for? We don't have any money to lose!"   I think they're right, I've never found enough on the beaches around here to cover the cost of a Go-Find 20 :laugh:.

5 minutes ago, tsunamiscott said:

Nuke em, It sounds like you need a M&P 9, or at least a can of police-strength pepper spray, for the yobs on the beaches you hunt.:biggrin:

Here in Northern California the only harassment I get is from the surfers.  They always yell, "what are you looking for? We don't have any money to lose!"   I think they're right, I've never found enough on the beaches around here to cover the cost of a Go-Find 20 :laugh:.

Not allowed to carry anything for self defence here . Though my 3 pronged fork i use to dig the dry is enough to a point !!

Why dont you find money ? Since i started in 2010 on the beaches i have found just past 20 k in coinage , cant imagine how heavy that would be ? and i'm not the only one that finds lot of coinage .

Its getting harder these days because of cashless society and parking charges putting people off coming or other things like this years bad weather during the better months . There is absolutely shed loads of coinage still on the beaches here , its to deep under stones and sand to get too though . And there must be loads of Gold / Platinum and Silver too plus all the older Imperial coinage . But it would take a awful big storm to shift the beach and i think it would take the Country out . Urrrm !! Sorry just the dark side lurking :wink:.

47 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

Why dont you find money ?

...I do, I was mostly kidding.  When I hunt the ocean beaches here, my main focus is on recovering items lost from the 1964 Good Friday tsunami that wiped out most of the town and harbor.  I use aerial photos from the 1940's, and photos of the aftermath, to try and figure out where the good stuff is deposited. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1